what do you think about HL2 leak?

Started by
184 comments, last by Pseudo 20 years, 6 months ago
It compiles

They generate a zillion vertex shaders and pixel shaders with Perl, totalling something like 400 megs of shader code.

The build process itsself required MSVC6 with SP5 and the processor pack.

It produces a bunch of game dll''s and a few executables. Running the launcher it switches to fullscreen with a familiar "Loading..." text, then exits. (Which was to be expected, since there''s absolutely no game data available)

Worldcraft is also included, running that, it asks for game-specific data files (not available), file->new yields a program crash Oh well.

I can''t wait for this game! :D :D
Advertisement
From bluesnews.com a note from Gabe Newell@Valve

Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook''s preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn''t been seen anywhere else, and isn''t detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we''ve been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don''t know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I''d appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can''t imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

so it is real. anyone looked at the code?
quote:Original post by T2k
ohh and dont forget the STEAM code inthere, now valve needs to rewrite a huge part of steam because some ashole rat has released it

One of the first rules of secure cryptography is this: Security through obscurity is neither secure nor obscure. If they really did implement a system that has to be rewritten because people can see the code then they haven''t paid any attention to modern security practices.

The folks at Valve aren''t new and they clearly aren''t stupid, ergo I seriously doubt this is a threat to Steam.

ld
No Excuses
Sadly, it's very real code indeed.
I have studied it and (a friend of mine) compiled it.
Its around 6000 files (counting .h and .cpp) toatling at 62.6 MB.
That means some 10 million loc, i guess.
This is very bad news for Valve indeed.

On a side note, the code is awsome
Nice and clean c++ code, with very cool ai-code etc... worth taking a loook at :>

But again, valve has all my sympathies. This sucks, and will probably push the release date further. I only hope no assholes start stealing code from this to earn a profit, but rather that the code can be admired and learned from by amatures.

[edited by - emilk on October 2, 2003 6:12:16 PM]
quote:Original post by locutus
Its a very good thing. Software should be free.

It''s always funny when people combine simplistic comments with extreme stupidity.

If all software should be free, we wouldn''t be seeing games like Half Life 2 be released. You gotta earn money somehow, and developers would have to find another career to take up all their time.

If you don''t like paying for software, and you don''t think games like Half Life 2 are worth your money, then don''t buy them. In fact, since you think that what they produce should be free, you should quit YOUR job (at McDonalds) and start giving out everything you create for free.

Condoning stealing is wrong. I personally think Valve and other companies that create really cool games deserve my money, and I think it''s a fair trade. If I don''t think it''s worth my money, I don''t buy it. Simple.
Alright, lets not get carried away on the free software discussion. Stick to the topic people!

ooh, and btw, I totally agree with xsketchyx on this one.

[edited by - emilk on October 2, 2003 6:18:02 PM]
I will no doubt buy HL2 when it comes out. I don''t think this will have a detrimental affect on the sales, in fact it could actually end up being a good thing.
quote:Original post by Biomass Negative
I will no doubt buy HL2 when it comes out. I don''t think this will have a detrimental affect on the sales, in fact it could actually end up being a good thing.

Yes, maybe.
But the release-date will no doubt be pushed up further, and it may get simpler for people to make cheats for it, which could potentioally ruin the multiplayer part.
any hints on how many players the multi player game will have?

or anything on tf2?
quote:Original post by locutus
Its a very good thing. Software should be free.

That''s the stupidest arguement I ever heard. So these people who go to work every day to work on games/applications/etc - they should do what - eat air? Sleep in the dirt?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement