2 people, 2 codebases, choose 1

Started by
4 comments, last by berserk 20 years, 6 months ago
I found a guy who''s working on a game that''s very similar to mine, so we decided to team up. However, there''s 1 problem: both of us have our own code and we put a lot of work into it. We are having difficulty deciding who''s code to use if we are to work together. We can''t seem to find a solution, so I want you guys to take a look at our code and pick which is better: http://files.garandnet.net/fig/ Files will be taken down after ~20 hours from time I post this. Don''t try to compile it, since some 3rd party tools aren''t included. Just take a look at it and see which is better.
Advertisement
I haven'' looked at it but here''s my suggestion.

Join them. You both have to look at each others and see what the major outline on both is. In order for you to start coding with his, you have to first understand it fully. YOu can see what the difficulties are with either solution and you might be able to solve the problems with one by joining with the other.

If one is modularized, i''d try and stick with that. It''s easier to modify without affecting the rest of the code.

I would look at it but i''m about to head to bed so i thought i would offer this suggestion. If you try and go one or the other, the one not choosen might feel a little grudgy about it. IT will take some time but try and mix the two taking the bests of either code.
iKonquest.com - Web-based strategy.End of Line
I would probably suggest the same thing as trapdoor, but if you don''t want to go to the extra hassle of combining the two It''s understandable.

Personally, if I were going to choose one of the two to work from it would have to be FigSource as it seems a little more "tidy" than BlackSource, I would say that one of the main reasons it seems tidier is because it has a lot of C, as opposed to BlackSource, which seems to be predominantly C++ (also the formatting in FigSource seemed a little better).

Certainly not knocking the author of blackSource, they both look very well done, and as far as I could tell by taking quick look, they both looked as though they might be as optimal as each other.

That said; I am a C programmer, so maybe that''s why I find FigSource easier to read. Each to her own, I guess.
Providing it all works, BlackSource is alot farther along in terms of parts for a game (sound, network, etc).

It has namespaces (always good to have) and a modular approach.

FigSource doesn't. The code isn't bad by no means . It has a nice amount of objects already written though

BlackSource just needs a little reformatting (mainly blank lines.. functions are all jammed together.. unless you look, you can't immediately tell where one function ends and another begins)

Personally, Id go with BlackSource with FigSource's objects added in (possibly rewritten a little to fit the BlackSource)

[edited by - Maega on October 5, 2003 10:39:05 AM]
I guess I should have mentioned that FigSource (which I wrote) doesn''t include 3rd party tools, which are:
1) Power Render 3D engine - handles graphics, input, and sound
2) ODE - handles physics and collision detection

Both of these tools are used in my current source (so it''s not like I just want to use them)
I couldn''t download the source, since it was already taken away, but here is my opinion: (since I had the same problem once)

Go for a C++ codebase with objects and stuff, since that will be easier to use in the end. (as far as I can understand, Blacksource was c++/oop). However, just rip away any bad code found there and put your similar code there instead.

----------------------------------------------
Petter Nordlander

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who don''t"
----------------------------------------------Petter Nordlander"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement