• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amnesty

Various template questions

This topic is 5554 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

1) making a ctor-like function a member template a bad idea? Recently i tried to make a member template ctor that accepted a generation functor (which was all policy-ed up so i can easily create new generations types). Worked pretty good and i liked what i saw. With just a few policys i could easily make any game-type object. My world ended when i tried to write the default ctor and copy constructor. Any way to get it to all work? 2) Can someone please explain this strange template syntax for me
template
<
typename T,
template <class> class OwnershipPolicy = RefCounted
>
class widget;
I really don''t understand that nested template line. Or how to use it in my own code. I assume it lets the caller paramertize OwnershipPolicy at the call site? 3) What does typename do and how do you use it? This has bugged me for a long time. I know it does something more than just beign interchangeable with class in template declartions. Thanks a bunch -_-

Advertisement
quote:
1) making a ctor-like function a member template a bad idea?

What error messages do you get? Show us some code.
quote:
2) Can someone please explain this strange template syntax for me

That is a template template parameter, with the default type set to RefCounted. RefCounted is a template class and the template template parameter allows Widget to specify the type that RefCounted should use:

Widget<int, RefCounted> widget_; // create a widget

template <typename T>
struct RefCounted
{
};

template <typename T, template <class> class RefCounted>
struct Widget
{
RefCounted<T> refc_; // Widget creates a RefCounted with type T

};

Without a template template parameter, one would have to declare Widget<int, RefCounted<int> >, which is ugly and bad, especially if RefCounted and Widget must have the same type T.
quote:3) What does typename do and how do you use it?
Sometimes you need to explicitly tell the compiler to treat something as a type:

struct A
{
typedef int INT;
};

template <typename T>
struct B
{
typename T::INT* b;
};

Without typename , the compiler wouldn't know if it should multiply T::INT by b or if it's a pointer.

Edit: < >

[edited by - Matsen on October 5, 2003 6:58:05 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!