• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

syn_apse

on making terrain

This topic is 5495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

so how does this work? im working on a large project, and i eventually want a terrain-building program, but i don''t have the time or expertise to do this at this precise moment. right now i''m focusing on making a small demo with small section of the larger map. do i need to make a terrain engine first? can i just model this map (in maya) as a whole for the purposes of the demo? do i need to make tiles, and are tiles the only way to go in a terrain engine? im still learning the programming aspect of game development, so i can''t really make a terrain engine right now. if i do need a terrain engine are there any free ones that i could download to use until i can make my own?

Advertisement
first i would suggest slowing down and getting a good idea of what you are trying to accomplish, then after thinking about it start thinking of ways to accomplish it. Theres about a million and one ways you can write a terrain engine, it all comes down to what your needs are. As for most of your questions, as i have no idea what you are trying to do, i cannot answer them, please post more information.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!