Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DD20

Creating GTA3 Style Game World

Hello By this question I don''t mean controlling all the pedestrians or cars etc, all I mean is the actual terrain and buildings. Is this game world created using a 3d mesh from say 3d Studio Max or something or is there some other better technique? I can only imagine it being a model and then use octree and BSP approaches to improve f-rate. Just interested because want to try similar thing Thanks

<< Just interested because want to try similar thing >>

Sounds like the guy before that wanted to do GTA: Vice City "but only more revolutionary." I would like to know how that stuff is done as well, but you gotta start small....

Lamothe''s Tricks 3D book goes into some of it...

Table of Contents

Phil P

I don''t the know all the details of how GTA3 handles terrain or how they made it, but I have a good idea about a lot of it and I''ll try to fill in the gaps with what I think would work

There is a basic model of the terrain that lacks details.. this is always in memory (well, in the case of GTA3 I''m led to believe the one for the current island is always in mem, but I have a feeling an even more cut down mesh showing only what you can see from the island your on is used for the other islands). The purpose of this basic model(s) is to give you the impression you can see for miles and that everything is always there.

Now.. if this was all there was everything would look bland and unrealistic.. so for the small area you are in a higher detail model is loaded and used instead of the generic information used for everywhere else. And as you start to leave an area it loads the information for the next area.

Then mix with the various trees and such...

There is a lot more to it than that, but that should get you thinking on the right track.

Don''t know how big you want this city to be but here is some interesting reading if you plan to go on with it.

http://members.tripod.com/kangarookoncepts/CGDC%2099%20html/Large%20Worlds3.htm

This paper is mostly about handling ingame resources but it also mentions some tips and tricks that could be useful in a GTA-style game.