Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atreyu

Awesome "hell" effect

I ran across this at scene.org Anyone know how they might have done it? Having something like this in a game would be scary as hell if you did it right. The textures are in the data directory. I just have to figure out how they''re blending and stuff. --Ben

Surely you can just blend different buffers together at different times to get that effect?
I just spent half an hour downloading it, then relised I already had it... Arn''t I cool =\

I didn''t download the thing, but I know how you can make that screen shot. 3 tools, blur, douge, and burn,... Wash, rinse, repeat,... Put a bunch of lines of the color you want, and mold them to the effect.

Do something similar realtime in a game,...

Hey slip,... is doing that the sort of thing you got your nick for?

Looks cool

I''m currently working on a software engine for my school but I''m still wondering what to make.. a spinning cube isn''t the coolest thing..

I think I''m going to download a bunch of these things

Guest Anonymous Poster
Here is a selection of good demos :

http://demoo.calodox.org
http://www.monostep.org

If you want all of them :

http://www.pouet.net

quote:
Original post by Talroth
I didn''t download the thing, but I know how you can make that screen shot. 3 tools, blur, douge, and burn,... Wash, rinse, repeat,... Put a bunch of lines of the color you want, and mold them to the effect.

Ok, I can try blur (I definitely agree there), but dodge and burn I''m not sure. I don''t know of any way to do burn or dodge like effects using Direct3D alone, which leads me to think I''d need to write a custom shader or something. If the effect is possible w/o requiring a card with shader support I''d rather do it that way. Anyone have a crappy video card they can try the demo on so we''ll know if they used a shader or not?

the demo is from June 2002, so i think we can rule out 'pixel shaders', in fact i've just looked at the infofile with it and it states it should run on a Voodoo3

oh yeah, and that is a cool demo (although the apprent lack of v-sync was slghtly annoying), its been added to my collection of demos now :D

[edited by - _the_phantom_ on October 5, 2003 6:07:30 PM]

That''s amazing!
I ran it on a GF2, so, as far as I''m concerned, I''m not going to bother upgrading until I can make effects like that, or Deus Ex 2, whatever comes first .

One other thing: If you play American McGee''s Alice, you''ll see a few neat effects like the blue portal thing:
http://www.macsecrets.com/img/alice380.jpg

quote:
Original post by alnite
This isn''t supposed to be a slide show, is it?

I ran it on my GF Pro, and I got a slide show, 10 seconds each frame. lol.

lol, that could almost be useful since we''d be able to analyze each frame a little closer to see what the heck is going on.

Maybe we need vertex shading.

How much memory is on the card? Also, the info with the demo says you can try "demo.exe v" if there are problems.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by alnite
This isn''t supposed to be a slide show, is it?

I ran it on my GF Pro, and I got a slide show, 10 seconds each frame. lol.

Your video card is heavily optimized for slide shows

Runs nice on a GeForce3 ti200. Looks cool.

quote:
Original post by Maega
From the screenshot it looks kinda like the wormhole in Stargate hehe

Stargate''s wormhole is just some perlin noise mapped on an alpha blended tube with a star map background. Although, if they had effects on par with the demo, I might actually watch it more often.

Holy crap that was sweet. I love the human figures to, adds the scary aspect to it

Definitely worth the minute download!

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on October 5, 2003 7:57:36 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
First important thing to do : increase the field of view ratio to improve the depth effect then create several spheres with the same center and different but close radii. Put your camera somewhere inside the spheres, move it around. You need good textures with lot of contrast and dark zones, a pass of blur will help. Set the blend function as glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE) and map the spheres with textures, you can achieve nice effects if you send your u,v coordinates through sin/cos functions, try things like u_new = sin(u*something + time). Each sphere has its own rotation rate per axis. To achieve glowing effects, just play with the alpha of each sphere, you can add a special sphere with a "lens-flares" texture.

Note that this effect can be done with displacement mapping and deep 3D parabolas.

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you like that kind of demos, here are some viewing tips :

<a href="http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/parties/2002/sota02/demo/mfx_dis.zip">Deepness in the Sky / MFX</a>

<a href="http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/demos/groups/sunflower/zilogff.zip">Zilog / Sunflower</a>

<a href="http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/parties/2000/horizon00/demo/tesla.zip">Tesla / Sunflower</a>
(sources are available somewhere..)

<a href="http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/parties/2001/theparty01/demo/medium.zip">Medium / Einklang</a>

<a href="http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/demos/groups/sunflower/wonder_sunflower.zip">Sunflower</a>

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
First important thing to do : increase the field of view ratio to improve the depth effect then create several spheres with the same center and different but close radii. Put your camera somewhere inside the spheres, move it around. You need good textures with lot of contrast and dark zones, a pass of blur will help. Set the blend function as glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE) and map the spheres with textures, you can achieve nice effects if you send your u,v coordinates through sin/cos functions, try things like u_new = sin(u*something + time). Each sphere has its own rotation rate per axis. To achieve glowing effects, just play with the alpha of each sphere, you can add a special sphere with a "lens-flares" texture.

Note that this effect can be done with displacement mapping and deep 3D parabolas.

Ahh, awesome. Thanks AP. I''m gonna try recreating this thing sometime over the next week (when I get a little more time). This looks like a good start.

quote:
Original post by atreyu
How much memory is on the card? Also, the info with the demo says you can try "demo.exe v" if there are problems.
Tried "demo v" still got the same thing. Dunno why. My video card''s memory is 32MB.

quote:
the demo is from June 2002, so i think we can rule out ''pixel shaders'', in fact i''ve just looked at the infofile with it and it states it should run on a Voodoo3

hehe, it runs on one, just not very well... the voodoo3 makes it look like a really slow slideshow. About 15 seconds between each screen. If it is using OpenGL it may because my current drivers suck really bad with OpenGL. I tried downloading some 3rd party ones but they screwed up my display really bad. Oh well, not going to worry about my video card until I get a new machine. It really isn''t worth it on this old 500MhZ clunker with no AGP slot.

Evillive2

Ran crystal-smooth on my GeForce3 TI... and I know exactly why you guys with the VooDoo3's are getting the shaft.

Fillrate, m'man. I studied that thing carefully while it ran (although it sucked; too boring). The VooDoo chipset cards have great polygon-count handling, and were always great cards at their default and standard resolutions (read; 640x480 and 800x600, 16-bit color), but they just plain BLEW at fillrate.

Until the Detonator 12 drivers, my 8MB VooDoo2 could kick the pants off my 16MB TNT2 Ultra any day of the week, under any API. At 640x480, 16-bit, 128x128 textures, max view distance and geometry detail, I could run Drakan at either a steady 35-45 FPS or a steady 5-7 FPS. Guess which card got which results.

Then Detonator 12 came along and made me its bitch. Suddenly, I could get not merely decent, but downright amazing framerates at 1024x768, 24-bit color, 512x512 textures, max view and geometry detail... 45-50 FPS on the TNT2.

Anyways, fillrate. I give my pitiances to all you poor fools who can't handle 40-times-per-frame full-screen pixel overdraw w/alpha-blending.

[edited by - Wyrframe on October 6, 2003 12:17:33 AM]