games-space-Architecture

Started by
1 comment, last by thecrow21 20 years, 6 months ago
by the term ''architecture'' I mean the original activity of space creation and building, and not the conventional term being used in technical documents about software hardware design. I would like to discuss the relation between game design and space creation (the original purpose of architecture). can a game bring out important aspects of its scenario through the spaces in which the player is moving? is the 3d-environment in addition to a well-designed audio system (sound is almost as imporant as light in architecture!) able to bring out the drama and poetry of a highly sentimental scenario. i like to think that it is (i''m thinking about the myst series). what is your opinion? In addition, how inspirational for a game designer (i''m mainly asking the professionals out there) could be writings like the ones of Lebbeus Woods and Italo Calvino, and what importance does the design of acual space (plan and section drawings) play in a game creation project. I''m studying architecture but I find game creation both very interesting and inspiring!
Advertisement
I'm not sure how many level designers study architecture rather than just trying to develop a 'sense' of what makes a good level through practice - so I'm not sure how many people will feel qualified to discuss something like this. That's not to say that some education about architecture wouldn't be beneficial.

However, you might find this article and this article interesting. (requires a sign up, but it's free and definitely worthwhile)

[edited by - Sandman on October 6, 2003 7:10:00 AM]
thank you, the articles are very interesting!
however, I don''t think it requires any extra architectural knowledge. the process of creating that special ''sense'' is what i find very interesting! how do you achieve that special ''sense'' using 3d modelled space?
what i''m trying to say is that 3D games can do what conventional architecture can''t; convert emotions into space!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement