I need a good idea

Started by
12 comments, last by ferrisr 20 years, 6 months ago
for a somewhat easy game to make! ----------------------------- RAFSoft How do i run allegro? I cant find the EXE
-----------------------------BAFSofthttp://www.bafsoft.com/Microsoft beats volkswagon's record, volkswagon only made 1 million bugs!
Advertisement
What''s your experience level?

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
Tetris (possibly turn-based), Pong, Breakout, Space Invaders.
"Neque enim lex est aequior ulla, quam necis artifices arte perire sua."
How about chess? with highly releastic 3d models, marble board with proper reflections and shadows, and a grand master level AI?

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

"Hunt the Fox."
http://edropple.com
A realistic dark future MMORPG, where each player can find their own planet, and affect the biosphere and the evolution of mystical creatures, and then sell and crossbreed them, and make spaceships and player-run empires and lead entire nations. That's what a lot of people start with.

Sorry.

[edited by - juuso on October 6, 2003 3:12:30 PM]
Being serious, Hangman would be a good game to start with. No AI, basic graphics, that would be good.

It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming

-Beavt8r...
It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming-Beavt8r...
MasterMind, PacMan & Nibbles are all good things to code. PacMan is probably the most difficult one of them, but got simple rule based ai.
I have always gotten too bored with old-school clones to ever finish one of the dang things. I recommend picing something fun, like when you were a kid, and emulating that in a simple straight-forward way. it doesn''t have to be great, just something to get your feet wet, right?

Try Tag, add in some play mode options like Freeze-Tag. If that''s too much try Rolling Down a Hill. i used to that a lot. its fun. You could make it into a game (not a best seller by any means) but something with a goal, and winning conditions. though I think it may be physics heavy. Anyway, the point is that all kinds of things can be turned into a game programming project.
What do you find hard? Math? No you can get around that. Art? Well you can get around that too. Code? Well game code is about as explicit as they come. If you want proof of that, just go look at the Wolfenstein source code. Don''t even think of "engines" and what-not.

Now, just take your pick: Tetris? Towers of Hanoi? Whatever it is, learn from it. Tetris is an example of an implicitly mode-based game (believe it or not). This is what makes it a very inspirational game to code. Each player is given a variable mode, and that changes from (1)Move Block, (2)Rest Pieces, (3)Break Line, (4)Generate Block, or however you want to do it. Once you understand that program flow, you can let it settle in, and then write your code. This same concept is used in basically every game you''ll ever write from here onward.

(TIP: Enumerations may be your best friend. Think about it.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement