Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPoopypants

Hex-based strategy game tutorials

Hey, I was wondering if any of you would have any information on writing hex-based strategy games. I tried googling and checking this site but I haven''t really found too much stuff useful. More specifically, I''m looking for info on how to detect neighboring hexes and how to plot them on either a two- or one-dimensional array. I want to write this in javascript, since doing all the graphical stuff will be MUCH easier and simpler. Anyway, any books/sites ... whatever, would be great, thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Javascript ?? I suppose you mean Java?

Any way, check out the Isometric Land forums. There''s plenty of that stuff over there. Also, take a look at the book "Isometric Game Programming with DirectX". While you obviously won''t be able to directly reuse any of that, the algorithms are solid and explained very well, so if you know Java, you''ll have no problem implementing them.

Yea, if you do mean javascript, i seriously would not try anything like that. javascript is just for adding small enhancements to a website, really, not much more. Java is the portable powerhouse of a language that would be your choice. Of course, i would perfer C++, but java should be another good choice for something of the genre.

I know Java, C/C++, and javascript all very well. I just figured javascript would be the easiest, since i''d be using primarily layers of images... And I have no idea how to implement graphics will C/Java yet.