DLL questions;

Started by
5 comments, last by Luckless 20 years, 6 months ago
Ok, slightly off topic, but thought I would give it a try here,... anyway, I haven''t had MSN Messenger to work for some time, (I can see what everyone else is doing, but I just could never send stuff out to the server my self) Now, I think I solved that problem, but my Oleaut32.Dll file is not working. I downloaded it off the net somewhere, forget the addy right now, and did what they told me to, but I got some sort of error, saying windows was using it or something, can couldn''t overwrite,... (I''m on win95 by the way,... hopefully not for much longer) Thanks for any help here.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
Try booting in DOS and copying the file from there. Windows won''t allow you to overwrite files it uses when running so the only way to do that (that I know of) in Win95 is to simply not load up Windows.

ALternatively, if you have an other OS in there than DOS you can boot into, so long as the partition your Windows folder is in is accessible you can overwrite it. The idea here is to simply not have Windows 95 running when you try to overwrite the DLL.

To be on the safe side, make a backup of that DLL though. You never know, the one you''re getting could be faulty or you might have even more problems.
You could also try booting into Safe mode and overwriting it from there
I guess I''ll have to try to remember how to boot to safe mode, as that will be easier for me to figer out than the dos commands to copy and paste,... Wow, 8 years late on computers, and I can''t even remember the basics of dos,...
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Usually you have some options when you first boot up your comp which might allow you to change the boot mode, another way that i found to get windows to start in safe mode - this is far from the best way of doing things is to start booting up your computer then just after windows has started loading hit the reset button. Hopefully when windows starts to boot up afterwards you''ll get some message about windows not finished laoding the last time and is starting up in safe mode
actually for me i just hit f8 the instant windows starts loading, that should take you to a boot screen.

works for 98, i dont know about 2k/xp
quote:Original post by Odoacer
works for 98, i dont know about 2k/xp

Same for NT/2k/XP I just did it a few days ago

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement