• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Orange Peanut

Errorproofing user input

This topic is 5467 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a cin statement that asks for an integer. Well, if a user input a string or something, the program just repeats the loop which the cin statement is in. It kind of looks like this
int MainMenu()
{
	int choice = 0;
	while((choice != 0) || (choice != 1) || (choice != 2) || (choice != 3))
	{
		cout<<"\tSelect a play style."<<endl;
		cout<<"\t1 = Single Player"<<endl;
		cout<<"\t2 = Two Players"<<endl;
		cout<<"\t3 = Demo"<<endl;
		cout<<"\t";
		cin>>choice;
		system("cls");
	}
	return choice;
Would now be a good time to learn how to use exceptions, or is there a better way to stop the program from crashing when a user puts invalid input? I guess I could use a switch statement, too, but that seems like a waste of a couple lines of code.

Advertisement
If you want to prevent crashes, use getline();

Either getline with a limit, or getline with a std::string.

Then check the string for alpha characters, if it doesn''t have them, do a atoi() fuction to get your numbers.

yeah, that''s why people write code with buffer overflows, it''s because it''s easier just to let it crash.

~~~~~
"Go on then" - benjamin bunny.
Download and play Slime King I.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!