Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zao Martyr

memory leaks

do "professional" programmers remember every little aspect of their programming languages? The reason I ask is because I dont really consider myself a complete noobie when it comes to programming (I understand most of C++, win32 api, and even lil bit of OGL) but I often forget important parts of the syntax. Im tired of having to "cheat" and look at someone elses source code or documentation to remember how something is done correctly. Maybe its because I dont really spend very much time coding anymore (because of school, girls, guitar, girls, skateboarding and girls) So is there any good way to memorize syntax even on my hectic schedule?

No way! It''s difficult to remember every little detail, a lot of it is weird.

fstream -> input and output
ofstream -> output
ifstream -> input

Now, ask me an hour ago, I wouldn''t be able to tell you.

A lot of the stuff you use regularly, you will remember. The rest you''ll need a good book.

~~~~~
"Go on then" - benjamin bunny.
Download and play Slime King I.

The thing about memory is, you remember best the things that you use regularly. Those professional guys have all the syntax memorized just because they use it, 9 hours a day, for years. That''s a lot.

The best way to remember is to just keep coding. There''s no shame in keeping a book handy (or get one of those laminated 3-page reference guides, those are good too). Yes it''s difficult, yes there''s a lot to learn, you''ll just have to get used to that.

as far as "cheating" - it is nice to be able to do math without a calculator, but I don''t think the ability to write code without books is all that useful.