• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hello_there

length of a string

This topic is 5377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
If it''s the string class then I assume there is a length function. If it''s an array just loop through it and count until you find the null terminator.

In a C++ string class it's the size() function.

EDIT: Argh, missed the "in a file" part. Sorry.

[edited by - DaTroof on October 5, 2003 12:06:39 AM]

quote:
Original post by hello_there
but there might be other stuff on the line that i don't want to load.

Have you even read the documentation for that function ?
You obviously don't understand what it does.
Particularly what a 'line' is in this context.

If your string is null-terminated, getline, with a terminator of '\0' will read it. If not, you have to figure out where you want the string to end by yourself : space, tab, newline, comma, whatever.

The computer cannot "guess" when to stop reading if you don't tell it the length (surprise, surprise), or a character that marks the end.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on October 6, 2003 1:35:09 AM]

oh wait never mind i though of a way to do it. also i now how it works i was meaning if the string started in the middle of the line. is a char always 1 byte on any computer?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!