Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuncanBojangles

www.xgamestation.com

You can do it on the PC for free if you know where to look.

What exactly posses people to release a console with a processor coming up for 20 years old? Amazed they got it running at 25mhz.

It sounds like fun to me. Programming on this kind of system would be a cool challenge. And it would be interesting to learn about the inner workings for a non-electronics-oriented guy like me. Today''s consoles don''t exactly come with reference manuals or instructions on how you would build your own.

Anyway, if you look at the website for more than a minute, it''s obvious this is meant to be for fun and education, for programmer types. As such, I think it could be pretty cool.

Guest Anonymous Poster
if it wasn''t atari graphics this thing could probably beat Xbox (but, thats not saying much) and maybe even Ps2 as well. Just think if both commercial developers AND independant developers could release games for it, without having to go thru a SONY or NINTENDO licencing and approval process first.

quote:
if it wasn''t atari graphics this thing could probably beat Xbox (but, thats not saying much) and maybe even Ps2 as well. Just think if both commercial developers AND independant developers could release games for it, without having to go thru a SONY or NINTENDO licencing and approval process first.

Beat it at what? First to the trash bin race?

Its good for people who want to program for consoles with full documentation. But its a POS as far as power goes.

You can already develope games for PS2, GBA, ect. The reason the XGS is such a cool idea is you can learn the hardware side. Once you learn what your doing, you can make whatever console you want.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

yea that worked so well for the gaming industry in ''83

Guest Anonymous Poster
moderators: this thread should go in the consoles and PDAs section. Please move it over there.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
moderators: this thread should go in the consoles and PDAs section. Please move it over there.

I honestly think people go through the forums specifically for the purpose of finding misplaced threads. Get a life!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Evangelion has it right...

This isn''t a new console or a new programming environment. This is a book on how to create your own game system that includes the hardware that it teaches. When you finish the books, you will understand how to interface a microprocessor to a memory subsystem and to various input devices. You''ll learn how to program a basic bootstrap. They even plan on showing you how to build your own basic GPU. After that, they show you how to do some programming as well, but I believe the focus will be more on the back-end. They will have a Basic interpreter for it, but they will show you how that interpreter is written and give you the source code to play with.

So no, this isn''t a box to show you how to make game software. It ins''t meant to compete with the xbox, ps2 or even the GameBoy Advance. It''s a tutorial on how to make your own gaming hardware. So why make a retro system like this? You''ve got to start somewhere and it''s a *lot* easier to fully understand a 25Mhz Arm processor than a modern P-IV. Start small and work up from there.

Guest Anonymous Poster
"Beat it at what? First to the trash bin race?"
No, dumbass, in the console war. A console is only as good as the games
it has, and the games are only as good as the developers behind them..
So obviously a system that allowed more developers to release games for it
would be a better system than the existing ones.

"You can already develope games for PS2, GBA, ect"
That''s only HALF true.. You still need to go thru an approval process and
then pay sony or m$ to put the game on their system..
it''s an unnecessary corporate filter between developers and gamers
that is nonexistant on the PC (which is why you were
able to play games like DOOM when they were shareware, and other original games
not found on the consoles.. ) If ID software had to go thru a Sony or Microsoft
to release commander keen, would they have been able to make DOOM? Who knows.

"yea that worked so well for the gaming industry in ''83"
What? How can it not work? It''s working for the PC platform right now so you make no sense.
Also I hope you know it''s 2003, and you''re talking about the old, old days..
Some things do change over large timespans like 20 years..
They let murderers out of jail after about that long,
this should tell you something..

"It ins''t meant to compete with the xbox, ps2 or even the GameBoy Advance."
It isn''t SUPPOSED to but I was saying if it had better graphics it would.
Maybe you non-believers should look at the new "Phantom" console thats coming out..
it could be a contender..

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
"It ins''t meant to compete with the xbox, ps2 or even the GameBoy Advance."
It isn''t SUPPOSED to but I was saying if it had better graphics it would.
Maybe you non-believers should look at the new "Phantom" console thats coming out..
it could be a contender..

Even if it had better graphics, it would not be a contender. The processor and graphics are chosen on their ease of understanding, not their power. THIS IS NOT A GAMES CONSOLE AND WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE. You will never be able to walk down to EB Games and buy a game for it. At best, you will be able to trade games online and *MAYBE* sell them in some way through the xgamestation website... though I doubt it. THIS IS A BOOK THAT COMES WITH HARDWARE.

The developer, however, has stated an interest in producing a more *modern* console as a future book/hardware series. At that point, we may see something closer to the PS1 in power. Again, the emphasis will be on learning how the hardware works and not on how to make games.

As far as the Phantom goes, I''m skepticle. There''s a lot of thingss they''ll need to overcome to make something like this work and I''m not so sure they know what they''re doing. Hopefully they''ll prove me wrong.

XGameStation isn''t supposed to compete with the current console market leaders, nor even the market leaders 15 years ago.

Its a hobbyist machine, designed for learning. I think, if anything, for those who buy it, it will bring a renaissance, and hopefully they and everyone who plays thier games will realise that it is gameplay alone, that counts.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by PnP Bios
I wonder what the development environment will be like.

bare bones

Some of the coments on this thread are an excellent example of people that take one word and run with it. The site did not say that it had Atari 800 graphics and processing power. It said that it has features of the Atari architecture that made it easier to program. Now had the same heckler bother to look at the rest of the site they would have found this:

quote:
XGameStation FAQ
The processing power of the XGameStation is approximately 10x that of the Super Nintendo (SNES), and it's graphical capabilities are approximately 50-200% more advanced than the SNES. Moreover, the graphics subsystem was specifically designed to draw upon the best parts of the Atari 800, Apple II, Super Nintendo, and Commodore 64, the systems that drove the computer and video game revolutions.

[edited by - thed77 on October 31, 2003 1:17:24 PM]

What''s funny is this thing is not about programming at all, you can program for it however....it is about building and putting together the hardware aspect of it. It is a learning tool, not a mainstream gaming machine.