What cards dont support multi texturing

Started by
6 comments, last by skow 20 years, 6 months ago
Well some of the more advacned extentions I''m making a game work with or with out them supported. But I think multitexturing is suppored by almost everything. My old TNT2 supported it (as i recal). I figure old stuff like a voodoo 3 (that wouldnt be able to play my game anyway) doesn''t have it. Any one know off the top of their head. Or better yet is there a spreadsheet or somthing that shows what cards support what extentions? That would be a great thing to have.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by vincoof in a diffrent thread
You need a very old graphics card not to support multitexturing.
Here is a non exhaustive list but at least all those cards/driver combo do support multitexutring.

Also check out:
OpenGL Hardware Registry

-HaVoK
Vaudoo 3 supports multitexturing. As Vaudoo2s. Actually, from the top of my head, only the first generation of 3D video cards ( pre-Vaudoo2 ) doen''t support it.
TNT stands for TwiN Texel. Seems to me their defining feature was multitexturing.
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
quote:Original post by skow
Or better yet is there a spreadsheet or somthing that shows what cards support what extentions? That would be a great thing to have

The OpenGL Hardware Registry, as pointed out by ssnhavok, relates a great database which is very handy, though not official.
It enumarates graphics cards capabilities for card / driver combo.
You may ask ... why the card / driver combo ? Why not simply enumerating the graphics card's capabilities regardless of the driver ? The answer is yet simple : as the OpenGL world evolves, new extensions come out regularily, and obviously drivers that were made last year can not support extensions that were specified this year, even if the hardware was already capable of it last year. So, the driver is inherently responsible of exposing the graphics card capabilities through extensions.

[edited by - vincoof on October 6, 2003 3:03:05 PM]
Thanks guys, EXACTLY what i needed.
If you want your game to work with vid card that dont support multitextureing what you can do is draw the object you want to mutlitexture how ever many times you want textures and bind each texture to each one. In other words if you have a square that you have a texture for and a lightmap you draw the sqaure two times in the exact same place. One has your texture binded to it the other your lightmap. If I remember correctly thats how people used to do it.
--------------------------Nukemmsn: nukem996@hotmail.comaim: nukem996open source open mind
Yeah could manually blend with double the polygons, but I''m not going to do that

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement