Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game Engines

This topic is 5217 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just got the Sky3D Game Engine and when i installed it my first reaction was "OH MY LORD JESUS!!!!!" The thing comes with about 6 other programs. It comes with Fly3D Builder, Fly3D Configuration, Fly3D Editor, Fly3D FrontEnd, Fly3D Shader Editor, Quake Converter, Install VC++ Plugins, and some other stuff. Is all of it really necessary for an Engine? I originally thought that an Engine was basically all C++ coding, no other programs except for maybe a 3D Modeller or Map Maker. Basically the question is, if i make an engine does it have to have all the other stuff like that? Do i have to make stuff like converters and editors?

Tink about it.. if you don''t make a convert that means you''re going to use the modell/level format of someone else.

If you''re not writing a level editor you need to use the level editor of someone else.

If you''re not making a configuration programm you need to type your ini file..

If you make VC++ plugins it would be much easier to start a new project with this engine..just use your ''wizard engine'' and voila a new project

For your first engine or just some learning thingie it''s necessary to write all those tools but if you''re really going for a professional engine and you want your own formats you will need it