Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SumDude

Game Engines

I just got the Sky3D Game Engine and when i installed it my first reaction was "OH MY LORD JESUS!!!!!" The thing comes with about 6 other programs. It comes with Fly3D Builder, Fly3D Configuration, Fly3D Editor, Fly3D FrontEnd, Fly3D Shader Editor, Quake Converter, Install VC++ Plugins, and some other stuff. Is all of it really necessary for an Engine? I originally thought that an Engine was basically all C++ coding, no other programs except for maybe a 3D Modeller or Map Maker. Basically the question is, if i make an engine does it have to have all the other stuff like that? Do i have to make stuff like converters and editors?

Tink about it.. if you don''t make a convert that means you''re going to use the modell/level format of someone else.

If you''re not writing a level editor you need to use the level editor of someone else.

If you''re not making a configuration programm you need to type your ini file..

If you make VC++ plugins it would be much easier to start a new project with this engine..just use your ''wizard engine'' and voila a new project

For your first engine or just some learning thingie it''s necessary to write all those tools but if you''re really going for a professional engine and you want your own formats you will need it