Practical Game Engine Design: A discussion

Started by
20 comments, last by neurokaotix 20 years, 6 months ago
Hello everyone, today I would like to discuss practical game engine design. To kick my discussion off I would like to state that the goal of this thread is to enlight myself and if possible, others on the practicality of certain design aspects... API-Independence: Is it even practical anymore? I feel as if this is sort of split down the middle. Many commercial engines that I see are not api-independent and are either hardcoded in Direct3D or OpenGL. I''ve heard it argued that the reason for this is because now-a-days the graphics cards that are in most systems have good enough driver support for your API of choice and that abstracting at the API is a waste of human resources. I personally feel as if I''d like my engine to be API-independent, simple because it allows for such flexibility with what your engine can be ported to (e.i., consoles). Now I realize that I''m almost certainly never going to port my engine to a console system but I would like the option to be there should I have that opportunity sometime. Another point I''ve heard made is that when companies are designing an engine they want to get it done; and not waste time trying to support multiple APIs when they could be using just one API to its fullest extent. I''ve noticed that with my project, I''m spending so much time working out how to get the abstraction just right that I''m getting nowhere visually. I would like to hear your opinions on the subject. Is it worth it to support multiple APIs? Should your engine be programmed using just Direct3D or OpenGL? If you think that just Direct3D is a good approach (like many commercial game developers), then what is your position on platform independence? Platform Independence: Another good thing to think about is whether you plan to have your game/engine ported to another operating system or platform. For most people, Win32 support is the given. But do you ever plan on porting to Linux? Apple? Perhaps a next-generation console? These are all things to factor into your design. Is it practical to try to code your engine to compile on operating systems such as Linux? If you''re coding your engine with Direct3D only then you''re alienating systems other than Windows and XBox. With my engine I''m trying for platform independence (not trying very hard, but it''s a goal). I guess that''s all I have to talk about for now, anyone have any input? James Simmons MindEngine Development http://medev.sourceforge.net
Advertisement
First: I''m not a professional but I try to be :D

I''m not going for the API-Independence just because I would never have the opportunity to port it to a consol or another platform.

If I have a good engine which works only on windows I''m happy.. As you said if you try to get it api-independent you can''t focus on the remaining parts of your engine.

I''m currently working on a software engine but that''s just for learning.. I''ve learned OpenGL and DirectX but I don''t think its useful to mix them.. you can reach the most people by going for the Win32 platform so I try to make something really good for the win32 instead something ''not so good'' for win32/linux/..

But if you have the time to design such a system you could use it for all your games.. Just once investing the time and using it after that and as a learning experience it would be great
Personally, I would ask yourself what you are creating the engine for. Are you just creating the engine for other people to use? If so, then maybe you should think about just making some sort of game. There are enough good engines out there. If you are doing something for personal use, then just code what you need for your project. If you see that you want something else down the road, then just add it on. It is pretty useless to go about coding in features that nobody is ever going to use.
Another reason NOT to use API independence is that you can optimize your engine for a particular API. If your in-game data structures closely mirror the structure the API requires, then you don''t have to spend many extra cycles moving data around to reformat it. You can also customize your code to best take advantage of (and avoid the weaknesses of) the API.

If you are really working this angle, then you are going to have to revamp your 3D engine for each API - or create a conversion layer from one API to another, which means you''ll lose performance on your ports.

This assumes your engine is so high-performance that this actually makes a difference... and that your performance is CPU / bus bound.
neurokaotix, I''m currently looking trough your MindEngine and I''ve got to say it''s great man

One of my dreams is to make a strategy game but I''ve got a lot to learn to come that far..

I find it difficult to start with an engine design. I know error and failure is a way but first I''m going to read trough your engine :D Hopefully it will save me from some errors
> Should your engine be programmed using just Direct3D or OpenGL?

a) How you will use the API within your engine?

You could have each renderable object call the API itself or you could have a renderer module call each objects'' parameters (vectors, tcoords & surface parameters, etc). In the first case you scatter the code across the engine; the second case centralizes the rendering code in a single module. If you get problems with a specific configuration or you want to extend the engine to support extensions then you don''t have to go around the entire code base to do it.

b) What are the *critical* functionalities you need?

Whether it''s raw speed or specific texturing pipeline features or shader support, those impact which API you will end up with as not all of them degrade gracefully when some features are missing in the graphics card (or at least it would need non-trivial code to work around them).

c) What level of compatibility with 3rd party tools do you need?

Does your engine''s preferred modeller poops out only .x files? Are you using an image library only available on Linux? Does your targeted clientele''s art pipeline compatable with the file formats your engine requires? People want to work with the tools they''re comfy with and not having to intall/buy/learn another tool, even if it is the ''best''.
Thank you for the feedback so far, I feel as if I''m leaning towards making my project utilize only one API. Back before I started this engine I had a DirectX engine and then later an OpenGL engine and they progressed very quickly because when you''re working directly with the API you can get a lot more done in a shorter amount of time. However, I''m then faced with the fact that once it''s all programmed in that API, that''s what it uses. Period. Unless later on I abstracted the API again, but that would be a very huge overhall.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
Another point I would like to go over right now is game content. I have always wanted to have scripting a core part of my engine. Scripting not only for in-game sequences but also for scene setup. I got to thinking, would it be practical to make all content delivered by the engine come from script files rather than using internal C++ functions such as loadMesh and renderMesh (just examples)?

For instance, in the application layer there is a mandatory entry-point script that must be executed which loads primary resources such as the main menu graphics, or calls the scripts which setup the main menu and from there the menu scripts load the game scripts. I feel weary about making it to where you can only present content via scripts though. Just a brain dump *shrugs*

While I''m in writing mode, I noticed that the way my engine works and the way that say... the Quake engine works is different. The .exe is the engine, and the dlls contain the game content (if I''m not mistaken) and the way my engine works the .exe is the game content and the dlls contain the engine. Can anyone think of any obvious pros/cons about either of these methods?

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
In the current iteration of the Caffeine Engine (v3), I''m working to write everything in as abstract a way as possible. I guess the short answer is to create interfaces to your subsystems in the most general way possible, and write implementations as necessary. Of course, it may seem ridiculous to have an overgeneralized interface to a rendering core and a factory that only returns one type of implementation, but it really does allow for future expansion. This applies to platform and API independence alike.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

quote:Original post by Zefrieg
Personally, I would ask yourself what you are creating the engine for. Are you just creating the engine for other people to use? If so, then maybe you should think about just making some sort of game. There are enough good engines out there. If you are doing something for personal use, then just code what you need for your project. If you see that you want something else down the road, then just add it on. It is pretty useless to go about coding in features that nobody is ever going to use.

Damn skippy. Design applies to engines and code just as much as it does to gameplay and content.

API-Independence: As far as pro companies just wanting to ''get it done'' quickly are concerned, I''d guess that actually what they''d go for, in general, would be an API-independent design AND a single implementation; there is, after all, a difference between being *able* to use other APIs, and actually *doing* it. They''d want to keep their options open if possible, while still remaining fairly efficient (no point coding a second renderer when you''ve written no game code to use it).

Platform-Independence: I''m a big advocate of it, partly because I''ve been using Macs as long as (if not longer than) PCs, and thus I''m used to seeing each platform as it really is (i.e. roughly equivalent for most tasks). Macs in particular have untapped potential for the game industry; but I''ve got little in the way of evidence to back that up, I''m afraid.

Part of it is the ''virtual machine'' thing. A platform-independent or API-independent design will always establish a ''common platform'' upon which the game itself is built; from a teamwork point of view, seperation of code like that can be a godsend because two completely seperate teams could work fairly easily on each part, developing the whole in half the time. It also lends to reusability; the basic platform can be upgraded over time to include new functionality, and can be reused across projects fairly easily.

Scripting: As far as providing functionality *only* through scripting, that''s asking for trouble. The best approach would be to establish a load of publicly available methods within your code - LoadTexture/LoadSound, etc - and then ''mirror'' them in the scripting vocabulary. You could even get it set up to work semi-automatically - new methods added to class objects automatically are mirrored in the scripting vocab (though you might need to write some custom compile tools or wikkid macros for it).

DLLs and Exes: One disadvantage of keeping the game in the EXE and the engine in the DLL is that it''s not quite so great for modding; sure, you can still load in other DLLs for mods but then you''re dealing with two DLLs instead of only one.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4
ry. .ibu cy. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement