MD2 models looking crappy

Started by
3 comments, last by RajanSky 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I just added MD2 support to my graphics engine and it looks crappy... MD2 is simply a sequence of models (like, frames) which make up an animation, so you can''t do smoothly interpolated joint angles and stuff like that, as you could with skeletal animation. So, right now the animation is really really choppy since the models I''ve found on the net tend to have a pretty low frame count. So, my question is, does anyone know of any techniques to make MD2 models (or non-skeletal animation in general) look better? I doubt any form of simple vertex tweening would work, except in trivial cases. I thought of doing some sort of alpha blending between frames (like motion blur basically) since I know this is a good technique for making 2d animations more fluid... but I don''t think this will work either because firstly it''s too expensive, and also, because the models I have use such a low playback speed that any kind of simulated motion blur would probably look really hokey. Thank you very much! Raj
Advertisement
You have to linearly interpolate the vertices between frames.

If the time interval between frames is T and you want to render the animation at time t, interpolate the vertices from frame t / T and t / T + 1 using fmodf(t, T) as the interpolation factor.
Yeah, interpolation (tweening) is the way to go. Also have a look at this thread.
Thanks for the help! I didn''t consider doing straightforward tweening because I figured it wouldn''t work for really complex animations. For example, I have one MD2 model where a robot just explodes into 100 little pieces so I was worried that tweening might produce weird artifacts... Oh well, I will definitely give it a shot- thanks again I appreciate it!

Raj
I thought interpolating was actually a standard for loading MD2 models.

.lick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement