• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Octree, ATB question

This topic is 5255 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve got one question about rendering static meshes. When I used octrees, I converted the static meshes to polygon-soups and put them into the leafs. But what if level-mesh not only has polygon data, but references to other 3d meshes that should be placed. For example, if I have a ship model and I need to place 50 barrels into the "cellar", it''d be logical to model 1 barrel separately and then just have 50 references in the ship model. (A primitive example, but it''s only an example) This can be easily done, but there''s one question: Where do I put those instances in the octree? It works if the objects fits into the leaf''s boundary box,(with no or minor enlargement), so except for the polygon soup, the leaf contains a link to another object, but what if it doesn''t? If it has to be moved one or more levels up, localisation will be broken. This question arised when I wanted to model a forest using several models and instances to them. Those usually didn''t fit into 1 octree leaf.

Advertisement

• Advertisement