Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MIT_Service

best method for generating a coastline?

Hi at the moment I''m working on a random 2D map generation routine. My current problem is to generate a realistic looking coastline for an island. I just wanted to ask you for your opinion on which method you would prefer. Fractals seem to be a good method, however, until now my fractal results seem to be much too uniform or much too random. Probably solvable with tweaking of my algorithm. I could use noise/heightfields to generate a 3d terrain and derive a coastline from it by checking the heights at the borders. Maybe some other method I haven''t thought of. I''m just curious what you think is best.

Look into perlin noise, it''s a very nice (and sorta realistic) approach in comparaison to fractal clouds.

I''m not fully certain I understand the full extent of your question. Are you looking for a realistic landscape generation algorithm or a realistic means of rendering the generated landscape?

No, I''m just looking for the generation of a 2D map.
The rendering is another story.
Right now I''m just trying to generate a fairly realistic looking pseudorandom map based on certain parameters.
Thanks for the tip, I''ll look into Perlin Noise.

Have a look in the AI thread, there''s a (rather out of place ) thread on land generation there. I''d link you to it but I''m a lazy SoB so...

I posted a few links to very good ressources for landscape generation in there, maybe it could help you out.

basically, use a fractal terrain, and set a water level, that should generate an island.

I''d recommend fractals for a start, as all you need is a single island, so you can influence some parameters quite easily (like make a mountain in the middle).

quote:
Original post by MIT_Service
No, I'm just looking for the generation of a 2D map.
The rendering is another story.
Right now I'm just trying to generate a fairly realistic looking pseudorandom map based on certain parameters.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into Perlin Noise.

1d, 2d, 3d, 4d, nd, perlin noise will work for any dimension you need, produces awesome looking results, and can be tweaked by changing only a few numbers...

Edit: added the link

[edited by - stonicus on October 7, 2003 9:50:30 AM]