Lack of Skills?

Started by
5 comments, last by Webbster 20 years, 6 months ago
I''ve been doing some careers planning in school (new school wide scheme) recently, and came across an interesting article about 3D Games Programmers, it says that you have to have good artistic Skills... Is this true?? Cause im kinda lame at art and was lead to believe that I don''t need any artistic skills for 3D engine programming, just numeric skills. The numeric skills I can handle, cause I can learn them but Art just doesnt come naturally to me... Have my life dreams just be crushed? Adam
Advertisement
I think you just need an UNDERSTANDING of art. Basically, if you''re going to right your own renderer for instance, you need to know what the artists need to make it look nice. You need to have artistic sensibility to come up with a good particle engine, etc... You only really need to be GOOD at art (more in the traditional sense) if you''re doing your OWN artwork.
Peon
Thanks for that!
I''ll go do some OpenGL now, and heave a sigh of relief.
Programming 3D games is not just about writing an engine. i''m guessing more than most companies putting out a 3D game have licenced an allready made engine. You need to have some sort of art understanding to be able to take that engine and program it to do crazy little things. Art does not just refer to how well you can draw. Art is mostly how well you can imagine. Companies don''t want number pushers on their team cause they don''t think of anything creative or new. Game programmers have to be artists to be able to push the bounds of software.
Just because you can''t draw or make 3D models or anything doesn''t mean you can not be an artist.
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
I agree with infused.

Artists and designers that create games does have to understand technology too. They have to think about how the engine does culling, so that they can design fast levels, they have to understand limits of 3d accelerators, so that they won''t make 200 x 10k poly models. They also have to understand how the gameengine does texturemapping to make the textures as good as possible.

BUT they don''t need to know a single word of C++..

----------------------------------------------
Petter Nordlander

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"
----------------------------------------------Petter Nordlander"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"
I think 3D programmers require an 'appreciation of art', as pointed out before.

[edited by - mathematix on October 7, 2003 5:50:56 AM]
that explains why I suck at mapping.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement