Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boomji

game engine discussions

hi, i''d a like an opinion of one the more experienced users here. i was just checking out the screen shots for both the above mentioned games and tombraider looked really awsome as opposed to the other. is this solely based on the engine''s superiority ???. i mean lara is not so polygonish anymore but the true cime pics are the usual run of the mill.Although it seams like a more diverse and interesting game. and is there anywhere/discussion where professionals break down and discuss the tech specs of engines pros and cons just like we have forums/threads for every other aspect of game development. thanks for any info.

The difference between true crime and tomb raider is the environments. In True Crime, you have a large rather open ended city type environment, so you end up using a lot of polygons just to support the long draw distances. LOD (level of detail) and occulsion culling help this some, but it''s still very hard to get the same level of detail you would have in other types of games.

In tombraider, they''re probably just using a simple portal engine, so they pretty much draw the room that Lara is in and the characters on screen. Because there are less objects in view overall those objects can have a lot more detail than you would see in True Crime.