Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nodeg

movie libs/methods with SDL...

I''m working on a little game in SDL... I''d like to make an intro animation, and was thinking about having a movie run in-game as well. I know that SDL can''t play movies(or even animated gifs), and I also know that I could always use DirectShow, but I want to keep cross-platform capability--so that''s out. Any suggestions? Use small words--I''m a newb

Have you looked at the varies libraries made by other people that''s posted on libsdl.org? I''m sure someone already made a library for the purposes you seek.

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

Guest Anonymous Poster
I made a library inspired by libsmjpeg that simply concats jpeg images as single frames into a single file and attaches an Ogg Vorbis file as soundtrack.
Quality/size can be adjusted as you like thanks to jpeg.
It''s main purpose is to play simple logo/intro movies that don''t run too long.
Maybe you could even optimize the compression and skip unchanged/unicolor frames and stuff.

Thanks to Ernest Pazera''s book(focus on: SDL), I just found out that you CAN do video(such as .mpg) onto a surface(which is cool because I want to have a video playing in-game if I can manage it). You just have to use SDL_Overlay.

On top of that: I did find a lib at libsdl.org(SDL_anim)that blits PNG files.

And the icing on the cake: By scanning through the libsdl newsgroup I found a cool tut in openGL for playing AVI''s!

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=35

Just in case anyone else was interested