DX8.1 & DX9 dev in one system

Started by
5 comments, last by q2guy 20 years, 6 months ago
I am making a d3d program, my 3d card supports almost-all dx8.1, and I want to use som features of dx9, although they aren''t hw supported, but the problem is that when you install dx, you can''t unninstall it and install a previus version, so I want to have my system with the best performance (dx 8.1 installed, 3d card dx8.1) and use dx9 in some programs. Anyone knows a trick to have 2 directx in one system, or uninstall and install different versions of directx without problems ?
Advertisement
Keep DX9 installed. DirectX is backwards compatible. Any program needing 8.1 will still run the same.
::fart::
I have DirectX 7, 8, and 9 installed on my computer. You can install 9 and still use 8.x. So I doubt your video card will loose performance. When you install 7 the folder it creates is called mssdk and 8 uses DXSDK. If you install 9, it will want to use the folder DXSDK too. If you have 8 installed and try to install 9 it will say something about it already existsing, so just change the destination path to DXSDK9 and will work fine.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
There''s no reason to have 3 DX SDKs installed. It''s a waste of space and a potential source of problems. One SDK is all you need for development. As already mentioned they are backwards compatible. You can develop to DX3 using the DX9 SDK if you want to.
The only thing you may keep is the documentation of the old SDK''s!

[ Games made by gamers'' minds | maxiInnovation - miniCan | mail: ChristianRoesch@gmx.de ]
[ Games made by gamers' minds | maxiInnovation - miniCan | mail: ChristianRoesch@gmx.de ]
An the summer update even contains the older documentation!
He is talking about the runtime, not the sdk.
Maybe you get better performance in "old" games and programs (that use dx8.1) with dx8.1 runtime installed, but I think that there difference with dx9 installed is small.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement