Gaming schools, opinions please....

Started by
16 comments, last by Vanz 20 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by KalvinB
Tech schools (which "gaming" schools are) have the distinct disadvantage of teaching you how to do specific things. Which basically makes you infexible and therefore not marketable outside your little box.

I have to disagree entirely with this statement. For a BS in RTIS at DigiPen, in particular, is not like that at all. The courseload is massive (averaging around 6 and 7 classes per semester required for 4 years) loaded with both advanced c and c++ classes as well as a load of theory, math, and physics, and a full-year game project each year and of course some general classes as well). Unlike what you might think, they do NOT teach you how to IE use specific APIs such as Direct3D or OpenGL. You have to learn them completely on your own in order to keep up with your game projects (or take extra classes, which you do not have time for unless you transfer credits/test out of other classes). Everything taught can be applied to any other job in programming. I know many people who know a lot more about programming and theory after only going through 2 or 3 years at DigiPen than people who have graduated with a BS in Computer Science at a University. What DigiPen actually provides is a focused major on advanced programming and math/physics, not on game development -- it just so happens that one of the best ways to teach them is with "Real Time Interactive Simulation," or more precisely, a game. FullSail, on the otherhand, offers a major in Game Design, not programming, so is not the hardcore programming major you'd probably want.

[edited by - Polymorphic OOP on October 9, 2003 12:30:07 PM]
Advertisement
I''d say get a real academic degree.

There are things like the christian fundie college and fundie mormon college that give these "fake" degrees a bad name.

Yeah, so I''d say getting a degree in computer graphics programming and working in QA will get you much further than getting one of those "crap" degrees.
I''ve seen some universities that offered a master''s in computer graphics programming.
1. FullSail does NOT offer a 4-year degree in game programming. Its an associates degree.

2. Check out the University of Advancing Technology in Tempe, AZ. They offer 4-year degrees in Software Engineering with a focus in Game Programming as well as a lot of other degrees.

3. If yuo already have a 4-year degree, get a certificate. Some place like FullSail or maybe The Guildhall at SMU.

- Jason

[edited by - wmurdick on October 9, 2003 12:24:23 AM]
"Iacta alea est" - Julius Caesar"So far as I know, I've never been defeated by a 'powerful over-arching potentiality' before"
quote:Original post by Polymorphic OOP
FullSail, on the otherhand, offers a major in Game Design, not programming, so is not the hardcore programming major you''d probably want.

The Game Design title is completely misleading. It''s exactly a hardcore programming degree, with maybe one "design" classs thrown in. The biggest problem they have is people thinking it''s for Game Design and not realizing it''s all programming and they aren''t as interested in being a programmer. You program day and night for over a year straight.
-------------------------Keith-------------------------
*drools*

HellspawnXIII
"There''s a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
HellspawnXIII"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
DigiPen and FullSail aren''t the only schools that offer this sorta thing. You''d be surprised how many schools there are out there. I know there are at least 2 in Canada, and many more than that in the United States.

Just a mention on going to a Game Design school.. if it makes mention of you developing a product, then it surely will be a help to getting into the industry. Last time I looked, a BS for Computer Science doesn''t compare to having the experience of actually making a game. Sure, the Comp Sci kids know programming, but they may not know how to make a game. What Game Design schools try to teach you is how to look at the industry and make something that might sell.
2. Check out the University of Advancing Technology in Tempe, AZ. They offer 4-year degrees in Software Engineering with a focus in Game Programming as well as a lot of other degrees.

I''ll 2nd this one. You really need to know how to engineer software, before you can jump in start "making games". I was very impressed with UAT. Their program looks solid. You can do it all online, or on campus. www.gamedegree.com

-Dan Joseph

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement