ok to use opengl graphics and directx input/sound ?

Started by
14 comments, last by Nickels 20 years, 6 months ago
Didn''t DX8 do some crazy sound merger stuff too, not just the gfx?

I never paid very close attention to it, but I thought DSound vanished and became DMusic or something like that...?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Nickels
Of course, like everybody else, i''ve got this great idea for a program (not quite a game, but could be)!

I would like to use Opengl for the graphics and use directx8 or later for the sound and input.

is there anything wrong with this?

Yes, you''ll be damned for all eternity for trying to mix Microsoft stuff with, err, Microsoft implemented stuff. In addition, Lunix people will hate you for using DirectX.
quote:Original post by Promit
I never paid very close attention to it, but I thought DSound vanished and became DMusic or something like that...?

Nope. DirectMusic can now be used to play sounds, but it is just a higher level thingy with a whole lot of extra stuff for music processing on top of DirectSound. You can tell DirectMusic to use a DirectSound object you''ve already created to play its sounds through, but you don''t have to.
quote:Original post by merlin9x9
DirectSound may be free, but it''s very low level, and—I think—a pain in the neck to use.

It''s only a pain in the neck to use if you expect it to load your sounds for you, which it doesn''t. However we''re all reasonably able programmers here, so just loading a file shouldn''t be a problem for us. At a low priority level it does all the mixing etc. for you, but if you want you can take it over. Of course, if you''re one of those chaps who''s opposed to COM on principle then it may not be for you either.
I''m also going to try to use OpenAL before I use DX.
I agree that OpenAL is a good choice. OpenAL is to sound what OpenGL is too graphics(both openSource api''s and cross-platform compatible). Rather use OpenAL with OpenGL than mixing it with DirectX.
to code or not to code, that is the algorithm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement