Casting from void * to int

Started by
3 comments, last by bpopp 20 years, 6 months ago
Normally I''d look this up myself, but I haven''t had much luck with Google since this problem is difficult to summarize with keywords. I am building a dictionary class which is essentially a std::map with a string for the key and a custom class for the value. The custom class is an object that is capable of storing strings, ints, doubles, etc. using a void * which points to a block of memory. The intent is to be able to store settings in their native type and then cast them as needed. I have two questions. First, is this a braindead way of doing this? Would it make more sense to just convert the data into a string when I store it and then convert it back when it''s requested. This is what I normally see, but it seems like a terrible waste of space (and CPU cycles). This probably isn''t a big deal in my case, but I don''t want to limit myself down the road. If it makes sense to do what I''m attempting, how do I refernce the void * as an integer (see GetIntValue() function). What I''m doing compiles, but it gives me a nasty warning: pointer truncation from ''void **__w64 '' to ''int''. void * m_data; void DictionaryItem::SetValue ( int value ) { m_dataSize = sizeof ( int ); m_data = malloc ( m_dataSize ); memcpy ( m_data, &value, m_dataSize ); } int DictionaryItem::GetIntValue ( void ) { return (int) &m_data; } bpopp (bpopp.net)
Advertisement
Look up the "any" class in Boost. It may be just what the doctor ordered.

The warning is warning you about potential problems with this code on a 64-bit architecture. Given how you''re using it, it''s probably okay.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
If you simply must store those pointers as integers, at least use size_t . instead of int ; if I'm not mistaken, the former will always be the same size as the size of a pointer. Perhaps a better alternative would be to store some arbitrarily-typed pointer, such as char* . To access it, then, just cast the pointer.

[edited by - merlin9x9 on October 7, 2003 4:23:40 AM]
You''ve mixed up dereferencing and address of operators.

Use this snippet of code, if m_Data is a * of any type:
return *(int*) m_Data;

In words, cast the pointer to an int* and then dereference it.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Promit: great, thanks. I''ll give that a try. I originally had *m_data, but that wouldn''t compile (for reasons which are obvious now).

Thanks also to Sneftel for the Boost reference. That looks very similar to what I''m trying to do.

bpopp (bpopp.net)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement