Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The C modest god

Hardware transformation?

How does hardware transformation is done? That is, if I have a vertex buffer and wish to transform it via a 4*4 matrix, but with the hardware and not simply doing the dot product for each vertic with software code. I would appreaciate help on this matter.

You need to call SetTransform to tell the hardware which matrices to use. Then when you call DrawPrimitive or DrawIndexedPrimitive, the hardware will transform all the vertices you are drawing by the matrices you set up earlier.

neneboricua

quote:
Original post by neneboricua19
You need to call SetTransform to tell the hardware which matrices to use. Then when you call DrawPrimitive or DrawIndexedPrimitive, the hardware will transform all the vertices you are drawing by the matrices you set up earlier.

neneboricua

What I ment is a hirarchy of transformation.
If there is a transformation matrix with a parent transformation matrix, is there a way for the hardware to do the dot product computaition or is it the programmer''s responsibility.

quote:

Ok, I have found the multiply transform method.

But this only uses software. You''ll need to look into Vertex shaders to do what you want. This will work on HW that supports shaders , and is fast enough to use in software as a fallback.

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!