How to start???

Started by
7 comments, last by the_0dd 20 years, 6 months ago
Hello!!! I''m new around here, so please don''t mind if this has already been asked. I''m quite new to games programming too (I''m programming (c++) for 1 year and a half now, but it all resumes to stupid high-school exercises). Now I must make an adventure game (3D grapics, sounds, animations and stuff). Last year I made a little fps in 3D GameStudio, but I don''t want to use it again. I was thinking of using a 3D Game Engine, and I focused on Fly3D. Is this a good way to follow, or should I program the game in an API? Freaks are everywhere...
Freaks are everywhere...
Advertisement
Well, depends on the time you have available...if it''s not an issue, i suggest you learn a bit on OpenGL or DirectX, otherwise, i''d stick with BlitzBasic or DarkBasic...both good DirectX wrappers.
Well... about 7 months. The game must have a character which moves through the scene (something like syberia) and Fly3D imports .3ds objects with skeleton animation. Does them import as well?

Freaks are everywhere...
Freaks are everywhere...
Well, for college, I had to make a game in 4 months, and came up with this one: http://sf.obsydyon.net/tata/Zero & Skull''s XDEngine.zip . It doesn''t use skeletal animation, but it well reflects what i learned about c++ and opengl in 1 quatrimester...
I dont quite understand what you mean by the question... so ...please rephrase.
Hmmm...

What is your opinion about Fly3D (and about engines) and is this a good way of starting game programming (using a 3D engine)?

Freaks are everywhere...
Freaks are everywhere...
I''ve started reading about directx... It''s quite difficult at first sight.

In fly3d to have a camera moving through an imported scene I must write about 100 line of code... In direcX i must write 300 lines just to fill the screen with random colour pixels (an example found on a site)

Does it worth the efort???

Freaks are everywhere...
Freaks are everywhere...
There''s no reason you couldn''t start with one of the open-source engines and code minor functionality into it as you go; it will certainly lower the learning curve. The only disadvantage is that your comprehension of the lowest-level issues will suffer, which isn''t necessarily going to matter all that much.

ld
No Excuses
Use an API, try SDL. And be realistic, 3d is definitely not for starters, but since you already got some experience maybe you can try SDL+OpenGL.

my cheesy card game project:

I don''t think 3D will be a problem because I''m pretty good (that''s what other people say) at 3D graphics (about 4-5 yr of max & mostly maya) and I''m pretty sure it won''t be too hard to implement it, even directly into directX.

I''m a little scared about the programming part (my role in the team). And I would like to learn something that will make my game dev life easier, even if this requires a little effort.

And one more thing: Is it possible to make an adventure game (like syberia), very muck simplified, adout 10-15 scene at most in 8 months, as a biginner whith some experience in 3d GameStudio and c++???

Thanks for replying, folks!!!

Freaks are everywhere...
Freaks are everywhere...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement