Need to know where to start.

Started by
1 comment, last by mink_trapper 20 years, 6 months ago
Hello, im new to game developing and i was trying to learn C++, i have C++ fro Dummies, and would like to know what are the most important things to know, so that i can get to them first and then cover everything else. BTW, i dont really trap mink
______________________________________________________________"It takes all kinds." -Adam CarollaMy Site
Advertisement
Everything. Control stuctures are pretty important, I''d spend some time getting familure with them. Everything else, is about equal.

There are excersizes in the book, I believe, do them, because the more you do, the better you''ll code.

My suggestion is, to try to make a trivia game, and get some user input. If you don''t know how to do it, keep on reading until you do..

~~~~~
" I...went from hopeless to sucky in a relatively short time." - entivore.
Download and play Slime King I.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
quote:Original post by mink_trapper
Hello, im new to game developing and i was trying to learn C++, i have C++ fro Dummies, and would like to know what are the most important things to know, so that i can get to them first and then cover everything else.

Any decent language tutorial will cover the important bits first. Don''t try to skip ahead. Programming is one of those things in which if you don''t have a solid grasp of the basics you will be hopelessly confused by the next thing to learn.

By the way, you''re going to need a better book than that if you''re serious about learning C++. It might not be a bad place to start, but those types of books generally don''t teach you anything more than the absolute basics. That''s fine if you only want to learn the basics (so far), but it won''t suffice for teaching you the language properly.
-------------"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement