Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rendertarget1

A Question about Game-Institute... Is there a Catch??

or maybe a few questions. I would e-mail them,but i''m more likely to get a more honest answer from here. Ok so there is some classes that interest me,on things i wouldn''t mind learning about,BSP is one of them. One thing iv''e heard is that they use the format .IWF (interchangeable world format),i did a google,and only found a few things about game institute. So i''m guessing (.IWF)this is their own custom format? The thing is,if all their courses is based on using this format,and they use their own level editor(Giles i think)and they say that you have to contact them about pricing to use it for anything commercial,then basiclly...like a lot of other license issues with this sort of thing and engines,there is a catch to it. You can''t make anything that you want to sell one day? using their .IWF format. I just know,someone is going to say,something like,i could take their classes and make my own format Lol,but it would be pretty hard to do that,since their classes are all based on using .IWF format. Iv''e read a bit on BSP and its not such a simple thing.Unless they had a class on doing your own format,it''d be pretty hard to just search ''blind''for info on doing it with the classes you take there. Can anyone who knows more than me about this,advise me because i am thinking about taking a few classes there,in particular the BSP course.But this Format/licensing issue worries me,and i don''t want to waste my time.(or money)

You are worrying about soemthing that is insignificant. The BSP course if not designed to teach you how to use the IWF format, it''s to teach you how to use BSP, PVS, and CSG to construct a game world. You could take what you learn from that course and apply it to id''s bsp format. Anyway, I don''t have the info on hand right now but I believe it is okay to use the IWF format for any purpose. It is designed to be flexible, and to store just about any kind of data imaginable.

I highly recommend the GI. I took 4 course from them (including the BSP) after they first opened and I''m very glad I did so. While all of the course offer source code, most of them are teaching theory. You should not go into it with the idea that you are going to get some nice copy & paste code and some nifty file formats to use. You will learn *how* to do the stuff on your own. That''s what it''s about. And there''s no catch - pay them, study, learn. Simple.

The main purpose of GameInstitute is to teach you game-related techniques and information, not to provide you with tools to help you build a game. That they provide some of these things is a side benefit. I''m you''re mainly worried about the tools, then you might want to rethink your motives. I took a couple of courses when they first opened and thought they were ok. It looks like they''ve undergone a face-lift and are planning on offering some new courses (DX9 for one) which is good. They don''t have any prices up yet that I saw, but the old courses weren''t too bad as far as price, IMO, usually around $50. All I can suggest it try a course and see what you think, but don''t expect to get all the tools to be able to create a complete game.

OK thanks for the info.
@Aldacron
I''m not looking just for some ''copy and paste''code,i want to learn all about BSP,to be able to apply it on my own.
That''s why i''m asking for advice from people who know more
about it or have taken the BSP class.

I guess the person who told me about it,was misinformed.
I suppose what i wanted to know was i that wouldn''t HAVE to
use their tools to build and compile,and be able to use what
i wanted to.Maybe i just don''t know enough about BSP,and a bit
confused about it.

oh well,i''ll take the BSP class,and hope its what i want

quote:
Original post by rendertarget1
Is there a Catch??
Yes there is. Technically, when you buy a Game Institute course, they own everything you make with that knowledge, your house, car, soul, miscellaneous nic-nacs, entire DVD collection, and anything else you've ever looked at or touched...

EDIT: The BSP course is great, I took it about a year ago...

[Insert witty signature here]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on October 8, 2003 6:07:33 PM]

If you are motivated to learn BSP stuff you can get quite a good variety of info on the internet alone. What probably would be a good idea is to try to learn this by yourself and you should be able to program something basic, implementing BSP''s.
Once you feel that you can''t learn anything more from the net, then take the course. This will give you a more ''focused'' learning experience, because then you go with all eyes open into this and can expand on your experience and knowledge and get more usefull answers.

This is merely an opinion, but I speak out of experience. I have worked on a loader for Quake 3 BSP map format, but gave up due to insufficient information pertaining to the file format itself.
Learning this from the net is not easy. It takes a lot of perseverence but I think the experience is more fruitful.

All the best of luck, though!

I dont know if this qualifies as a "catch", but you should be aware of this, you need to have spare time to do the "homework" they ask you to do, and to assist to all "online classes" check if the current schedule works for you, since the classes are in the US they are in US central time and is just once a week. The "written" material is good, but mostly is stuff you can find if you look hard enough in gamedev sites, on the other hand the chance to discuss and in some cases invent new techniques with the help of your teacher who is usually an expert in the matter and your colleagues is just priceless. I took a DX class a few years ago and it was probably the most useful class I have had in my career.

p.s. you need to be very responsable to get the max out of any course. AND make sure you have the required knowledge to get the class, if the class says you need advanced 3d math and some stl/C++ knowledge, they mean it.

I''m just curious, how much did these courses cost? I know it says on their website that it''s course specific, but i''d like to at least have a general idea of how much.