Security Systems with AI

Started by
18 comments, last by sakky 20 years, 6 months ago
I don't think having the system attack the attackers is a great idea. What if someone were to get a program onto an innocent person's computer that was designed to attack that security system to direct any possible counterattack away from the one actually responsible? People could even go so far as to attack other people by putting such a program on their victim's computer just so that it would be attacked by the so called security system.

[edited by - SyntheticHate on October 9, 2003 5:03:55 PM]
Advertisement
Hi, having some problems (I''m at someone else''s computer and I forgot my password) so I''m posting as a guest. Anyway, if Tyrant was that smart it could lauch nukes remotely. That is BAD. On the other hand, there is always the OFF button... but Tyrant would copy itself to other machines and keep yours on with their power. They could launch attackls on web servers and commandeer the pages... We have Slammer Jr, guys. We need an infallible way to turn it off, because it would reprogram itself, mabye not to accept terminate program commands. We would either need an infallible OFF, or have it completely user controlled. On the other hand, what about evil users?

To make a long story short, make an infallible OFF.
what if there was a power outage, and you''re backup generator failed to kick in, and a evil user did something evil?
My Kung Fu is stronger.May the Source be with you.neo88
Well, it would not go out all over the world at once.
Well, to be serious: It would be illegal in many countries to make a program to atack other computers, or at least to use it. Also, what happens if somebody attacks you using a computer with the AI program on it? If it can learn, what happens is that you counter attack, they counter attack better, you counter attack better etc until both computers are entirely devoid of ''life''. I don''t know about you but I, personally, would not want some ''super AI'' on my pc fighting with another one somewhere.

Preventing access sounds like a MUCH better idea. It would also be good if there was a site for it to monitor to download info about new security holes so it could automatically turn off/block the ports of/etc problematic services/servers until a patch is released. Of course, that would only work if it ran on a gateway rather than desktop machines (don''t think people would like being told all the programs they use daily can''t be run because they are a security risk - need to do something else about that).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Talk is cheap.
So wait... what happens if Tyrant1 is protecting a college campus, and a student attacks corporation X that is protected with Tyrant2. What happens?? Do they duke it out? Maybe you could even make a web stream of virtual tyrant fighting. Sounds like a plan to me ^_^
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
I think we need a better name for a defense program than Tyrant. How about Guardian Angel, or GA? Why don''t we have GAs have virus defenitions, but also able to identify new viruses. When a GA finds a virus, it updates the virus defenitions of GAs all over the world. Also, if a new security hole is discovered, GA could reprogram out the hole, including if the hole was in GA itself. GA would notify other GAs if it was infected; GA would block all incoming data from known infected computers. If there was an epidemic all GAs would block all their incoming or outgoing internet transmissions.
How about something like this? =)

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994263

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

But this will be a Cyberspace application. Not physical defense.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement