MSVC 6.0 weirdness

Started by
8 comments, last by foofightr 20 years, 6 months ago
When I save a file, VC pops up a message box telling me that it can't save the file because it's in use by another application. It usually continues with another message box saying that the file was deleted (I check the directory and it's actually gone). Then... I can press Save again and it will save it fine. I wonder what is locking the file? I thought it was maybe the anti-virus software (Norton) but I disabled it and the problem still occurs. Happens pretty much every time I save a file that's need saving (has * in the title bar). But, it doesn't always delete the file - that behavior seems random. [edited by - foofightr on October 8, 2003 6:06:51 AM]
Advertisement
I know what you are talking about. Guess its a bug in the ide
This is a well-known problem with NAV. Simply disabling it sometimes doesn''t stop it from happening (depending on OS and NAV version). Uninstalling it will help. There''s better, less intrusive, virus scanners out there anyway.

Kippesoep
Thanks for the answer. I had my suspicion that even after I "disabled" Norton, it still wasn't actually disabled.

For anyone else with this problem, I googled and found a website that tells you how to fix it. It's got to do with a WinXP "optimization" that you can disable. I added the registry entry like they say, and all is well again.

http://www.phoneslips.com/nav.htm

[edited by - foofightr on October 8, 2003 7:26:27 AM]
i get that too.
btw, it seems the fix I posted does NOT work, unfortunately.

Stupid NAV.
Sometimes, too you can get this problem if the IDE freezes or crashes when a workspace is open....

I also got the error when I deleted the workspace file and/or the NCB and OPT files.... That pretty much screws your project too, your best bet is to take all the files from it, delete the DSP, and make a new one (uck but it works if all else fails. Because deleting the NCB/OPT file(s) will almost always screw the project up and make it impossible to open.)
Deleting the NCB and OPT files should not mess up your workspace. All it does is force MSVC to rebuild its classbrowser info and it forgets which editor windows you had open (and their positions). It is quite safe to delete them (and in some cases recommended, if Visual Studio crashes upon opening the workspace).

DSP and DSW files don''t get corrupted so easily.

Kippesoep
There''s definitely some thought required when using the ide. Some problems:

1)erasing a project folder by hand when running the ide makes the ide impossible to close.

2)delete key can be used to remove project from workspace but this is not documented I don''t think

3)can''t inherit from your own mfc classes, resulting in inheriting from mfc base classes and then relinking the msg maps by hand

4)when on a slow machine and you hit the cancel build button the ide will go into spasm

5)projects get duplicated in class view at times

6)"can''t display class view info" when clicking on ide project file instead of launching the ide exe then opening workspace from within the ide

Though there are some good points. Class wizard can update its info in certain hard situations and that surprised the heck out of me. Some ms engineer put good logic into it. This is unusual
Man, this file locking issue is VERY annoying. Does anyone know how to fix it, short of uninstalling NAV? (which I am not aversed to doing if it''s the only option)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement