Just another MMORGP (initiative system)

Started by
18 comments, last by Dorgbar 20 years, 6 months ago
4 times in 50 sec. is 20 initiative
and if the axe got 30-40 as i said
the damage rate is 50%-100% higher

so the knife damage 100 if you hit each of the 10 times

and an axe damage from 180-240

there is some benefits using a knife but larger weapons is stille the most effective ones

Who Knows??? Who Cares???

[edited by - dorgbar on October 8, 2003 11:54:44 AM]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Ingenu
What about sticking with the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle ?

Just use a timeline (you necessarily have one in a online game to synchronize stuff), at the start of the battle you compute intiative once.

Assume that an Action takes time to ''prepare'' and time to ''act''.

Battle starts at t time.
Add some randomness to t for each fighter. (if you want)
Time t0 is the time @ which the fighter begin his action (t+random).
Time t1 is the time @ which the fighter is done ''preparing'' to act (Fighter.Speed + Weapon.Speed/Spell.Speed/0).
Time t2 is the time @ which the fighter is done ''acting'', and it''s also the time t0 for the beginning of the next action.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

you could make 10-20% random bonuses/penalties but it doesnt matter that much
quote:Original post by Dorgbar
4 times in 50 sec. is 20 initiative
and if the axe got 30-40 as i said
the damage rate is 50%-100% higher

so the knife damage 100 if you hit each of the 10 times

and an axe damage from 180-240

there is some benefits using a knife but larger weapons is stille the most effective ones

[edited by - dorgbar on October 8, 2003 11:54:44 AM]

I''m sorry but I can''t have a discussion with you if you keep changing the information. I was just using the facts that you gave in your previous post for my calculations.. and now you have totally different numbers

and I really don''t see how you you can say before that its 3 times as much damage and now its only 1.5 or 2 times as much damage yet the total ends up way higher..

If you don''t say the values that your going to use or you don''t show the calulations that will be used then there is no point in trying to explain what is going to happen.. there is no way to understand what your thinking

Plus in this example you have used a knife and a axe which is only 2 weapons and you have changed the values on these 3 or 4 times in your posts just so that there would be balance.. I think you need to go with the KISS approach or your going to end up with a huge mess when you try to have 20 or more different types of weapons that you want to be balanced so that its some what realistic..

I''m just trying to help you out, I''m not trying to say that your Idea is totally wrong, I''m just saying that maybe its a little too complicated thats all

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
yeah i know but those informations i started with was just eg. informations to explain what the ideea behind the system was im sure i said 30-40 but whatever

Do you think it cant be balanced, so that knifes is useable. but different from axes.

in many games knifes are only to use in the lowest levels, but in my system every weapon should be usefull if you are skilled whit them
quote:Original post by Turt99
and I really don't see how you you can say before that its 3 times as much damage and now its only 1.5 or 2 times as much damage yet the total ends up way higher..

you misunderstood or im just explaining me wong.
i did not changed the "times as much damage", ist 3 times as much , i only changed the initiative, from 20 to 30-40

[edited by - dorgbar on October 8, 2003 12:35:51 PM]
why not use something similar to how shadowrun does it.
Each person in combat everyone has a initive value which is based on a random value and there stats.

Now for your game give each weapon a action cost, That amount of initive it takes to use the weapon. Calculate initive for everyone involved in combat this number will be used to deterime not only the sequences of attacks but also have many attaks they get around since, as long as initive is a positive number the charcter can attack.

So Bob vs the goblin and orc.
Bob has a sword action cost 25
goblin knife action cost 10
orc axe action cost 50

round 1 initive
bob = 45
goblin = 30
orc = 50

round 1 attack sequence
orc = 50-50=0
bob = 45-25=20
goblin = 30-10=20
bob = 20-25=-5
goblin = 20-10=10
goblin = 10-10=0

so as you can see from the example the slower axe can still hit first because the character is fast enough, but it only gets 1 attack, while the slower goblin with the fast dagger is last to attack but gets to attack more then the rest assuming it''s still alive at then when his turn comes up. Each round would generate a new initive value. This also prevents outofsych errors from occuring, because if as you said you want to skip rounds where no opponet can attack this would make that combat out of synch with the rest of the combat going on in your world.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

quote:Original post by Dorgbar
quote:Original post by Turt99
and I really don''t see how you you can say before that its 3 times as much damage and now its only 1.5 or 2 times as much damage yet the total ends up way higher..

you misunderstood or im just explaining me wong.
i did not changed the "times as much damage", ist 3 times as much , i only changed the initiative, from 20 to 30-40

[edited by - dorgbar on October 8, 2003 12:35:51 PM]

Sounds like it could be balanced (it might not be really easy but its possible), it seems like you don''t want to have 1 weapon that is better then all the others ie, One weapon that everyone will want to use, and I think thats a good Idea.

I think its making more sense to me now and I think what your trying to do it possible, the only thing that I''d be a little worried about is that the person with the smallest weapon is going to get the first hit everytime.. I would suggest maybe adding a condition that the person that actually attacks always gets the first hit.. like if they sneak up and hit them in the back the other person wouldn''t know they where attacked untill they where hit

other then that I think the system will work it will just be a little challenging to keep it all balanced

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
http://62.107.57.119/Initiativ.exe <-- have a look at this if you want.

and thank you for the feedback
You could use an initiative system like the one that is used in Dungeons & Dragons...
Every character has an initiative modifier. This can represent how fast the character is, for example. Say your character has an initiative modifier of +4, for a fast character, or -2 for a big clumsy ogre.
Every weapon has an initiative score, as well. A knife, for example, might have a initiative score of 3.

Then you randomly pick a number between 1 and 20, add the character''s initiative modifier, and subtract the weapon initiative score...

Just a suggestion..
quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
why not use something similar to how shadowrun does it.
Each person in combat everyone has a initive value which is based on a random value and there stats.

Now for your game give each weapon a action cost, That amount of initive it takes to use the weapon. Calculate initive for everyone involved in combat this number will be used to deterime not only the sequences of attacks but also have many attaks they get around since, as long as initive is a positive number the charcter can attack.

So Bob vs the goblin and orc.
Bob has a sword action cost 25
goblin knife action cost 10
orc axe action cost 50

round 1 initive
bob = 45
goblin = 30
orc = 50

round 1 attack sequence
orc = 50-50=0
bob = 45-25=20
goblin = 30-10=20
bob = 20-25=-5
goblin = 20-10=10
goblin = 10-10=0

so as you can see from the example the slower axe can still hit first because the character is fast enough, but it only gets 1 attack, while the slower goblin with the fast dagger is last to attack but gets to attack more then the rest assuming it's still alive at then when his turn comes up. Each round would generate a new initive value. This also prevents outofsych errors from occuring, because if as you said you want to skip rounds where no opponet can attack this would make that combat out of synch with the rest of the combat going on in your world.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I'm a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Acturally this idea rocks...
but i improved it whit my save initiative idea, so you are allowed to save up to 50 initiative more then your standard
that means people who got 20 will be able to save up 70 and people who have 200 will be able to save 250

[edited by - dorgbar on October 10, 2003 4:31:44 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement