Just another MMORGP (initiative system)

Started by
18 comments, last by Dorgbar 20 years, 6 months ago
My Combat system starts whit Initiative First the server check all the creatures in the combat Every creature an initiative score. That derives from the weapon. Smaller weapons got a better initiative score than larger weapons. Lets say we have a combat whit 3 creatures. A goblin whit a knife, an orc whit an axe, and an ogre whit a large brutal club. The status will be like this Creature initiative score Goblin 100 Orc 75 Ogre 25 In the start of every round, the creature whit the highest initiative score starts(if his score is >= 50)(else: the round ends). when its your turn you loose 50 initiative score, and if you have less than 50 you save the rest for next round In this case the goblin starts. He use his turn and the system resets. But now the status is Creature initiative score Orc 75 Goblin 50 Ogre 25 The goblin used its turn and now it’s the orcs turn after he used his turn and the 50 initiscore the status is Creature initiative score Goblin 50 Orc 25 Ogre 25 It’s the goblins turn again… but after that noone have >= 50 initiative, so the round ends. next round the status is like this Creature | initiative | Rest from last round | total initiativ Goblin 100 0 100 Orc 75 25 100 Ogre 25 25 50 You can only save up to double your start initiative score. If two creatures have equal initiative score, its random who starts Who Knows??? Who Cares???
Who Knows??? Who Cares???
Advertisement
So if the Goblin had say 210 initative (like a pocket knife) and the other 2 in the fight had 25 points (20 pound axes) then the goblin would have 4 turns before the other people even got a chance to go.

then the Golbin would have 10 points and then others would have rested for 25 so they''d get a turn next...

This system sounds turn based and is that what you really want to have in a MMORPG? for example a player goes into the cave with his trusty axe (nice and large) but he is fighting orcs that have knifes.. the orcs are going to attack him and going to have 1 or 2 hits EACH before he swings.. and they are going to be numerous verus he is only 1 (ie only attacking 1)

I like the idea of each weapon taking different times to attack then another one but I think it shouldn''t matter what the other person is carrying.. IE if 2 people have huge axes then they both swing fast but if an axe meets a knife then it swings slow..

I like a weapon to have a speed and then when you attack the weapon swings at a certain rate, if you get hit in between you might be slowed down or even interrupted.. but if your avoiding the hits you can have a constant swing speed no matter what you fight..

Your Idea seem interesting I''m just not sure it would work

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
100 is just an eg. value.
only skilled warriors have more than 100, and 200 is Inhumanly.
And you aren''t going into a cave alone, you are in parties whit about 8 players.
If two players have like 1 initiative each, the server automaticly skip the first 50 turns, so you dont have to worry about that
1) Not everyone is going to want to party up with 8 different people everytime they want to enter a dungeon. Sometimes you just want to play around and kill a few things.

quote:Original post by Dorgbar
If two players have like 1 initiative each, the server automaticly skip the first 50 turns, so you dont have to worry about that

2)What is that refering too.. all that means is that if 2 people are at the same level that they will constantly be hitting like crazy.. ie. if they both have 1 initiative they will hit every posible second so a match between 2 people with masive axes will only take a second no matter how good they are.. because the server is going to skip right to the time when they would hit right away.

but if that same axe when against a knife with 100 points it would never hit.. say the knife is 50 and the axe is 1 then the knife hits 25 times before the axe hits.. because the knife goes
then the knife is 0 and the axe is 1
then the knife is 50 and the axe is 2
and then the knife hits and is 0 and the axe is 3

its great to look at balanced stats like in your example but MMORPG players don''t try to balance things they try to mess with the rules and I can see in your system the best players holding the smallest weapon to go after the biggests bosses that are holding insanely huge axes that would crush you in 2 hits.. but the problem would be the player gets 100''s of small hits before the boss can even swing so there is plenty of hit to heal up for the next hit ..

i think it would be better to just give each character+weapon a time delay between attacks... just my 2 cents
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:Original post by krez
i think it would be better to just give each character+weapon a time delay between attacks... just my 2 cents

This is what I''m trying to say... That way the player knows how his weapon is going to react in a fight no matter what he is trying to fight.

1 is an impossible initiative, its too low

any round is about 5 sec.

a knife might have the value of 75 initiative wich means that you are allowed to attach twice in 10 sec.
a very heave axe has the value of 40 or maybe even 30
so they will be able to attack 4 times in 50 sec.
and if the giant axe have a damge rate that is about 3 times higher than the dagger it wouldnt be that unfair dont you think.

if you arent strong enought for your weapon you got some initiative penalties. so an extremly weak goblin would have about 15 initiative useing an axe, and for him it would be smarter useing a dagger

[edited by - dorgbar on October 8, 2003 11:01:32 AM]
acturally im having a 11 pages long ruleset/manual, and i would gladly post it, but i havent translated it to english yet and there is still some rules that have to be fixed.
What about sticking with the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle ?

Just use a timeline (you necessarily have one in a online game to synchronize stuff), at the start of the battle you compute intiative once.

Assume that an Action takes time to ''prepare'' and time to ''act''.

Battle starts at t time.
Add some randomness to t for each fighter. (if you want)
Time t0 is the time @ which the fighter begin his action (t+random).
Time t1 is the time @ which the fighter is done ''preparing'' to act (Fighter.Speed + Weapon.Speed/Spell.Speed/0).
Time t2 is the time @ which the fighter is done ''acting'', and it''s also the time t0 for the beginning of the next action.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
With those examples you have, I did a little calculation

say the knife is 10 damage
then the knife hits 10 times in 50 seconds = 100 damage

the gaint axe is 30 damage (10 * 3)
then the axe hit 4 time in 50 seconds = 120 damage

a knife is hitting 2.5 times as fast and a axe is only doing 3 times the damage.. I''d still have a dagger and get the hits in faster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement