Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MGP13

Whhat are some good tutorials for...

This is one of these wierd situations where the AP has got a point. You left the meat out of your subject. If you''re looking for 2-D tutorials, the propper (one or two p''s?) thing to ask for (i''m assuming you''ve just started dx) is directdraw tutorials, and unless you want to make it 2-D using a 3-D interface, the tutorials go only up to version dx7.

Buy Tricks Of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (TTOWGPG)

quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
No, Direct3D is now the API of choice (assuming DirectX in the first place) for both 2D and 3D, and has been renamed to "DirectXGraphics."
True--BUT--thanks to the wonders of com, both directdraw AND directXGraphics are compatible with DX8/9... But there are WAY more tuts for using directdraw out there. If I was a 13 year old looking to make a 2d game I''d go with directdraw... for that matter even if I was 27 and I was looking to learn game programming I''d do the same damn thing(or use SDL).

quote:

No, Direct3D is now the API of choice (assuming DirectX in the first place) for both 2D and 3D, and has been renamed to "DirectXGraphics."

I thought it was called DirectGraphics. Anyways, cowsarenotevil is right, directdraw is now depricated, but that doesn't mean you can't use it.
quote:

If I was a 13 year old looking to make a 2d game I'd go with directdraw

*taps his toe on the floor repeatidly*
Shouldn't that be "If I was a 13 year old looking to make a 3d game I'd go with directdraw" However, I do prefer direct3d to directdraw because the interface is much nicer.

[edited by - brassfish89 on October 11, 2003 6:11:07 PM]

quote:
Original post by nodeg
True--BUT--thanks to the wonders of com, both directdraw AND directXGraphics are compatible with DX8/9... But there are WAY more tuts for using directdraw out there. If I was a 13 year old looking to make a 2d game I''d go with directdraw... for that matter even if I was 27 and I was looking to learn game programming I''d do the same damn thing(or use SDL).

Yes, well I was a 13 year old looking to make a 2D game, and I ended up using OpenGL, but that''s not the point. I first tried with DirectDraw, and got so confused that I gave up before trying Direct3D, making a rotating square,and finally switching to OpenGL, and I still know a bit of Direct3D, and much prefer it to DirectDraw.

quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
Yes, well I was a 13 year old looking to make a 2D game, and I ended up using OpenGL, but that''s not the point. I first tried with DirectDraw, and got so confused that I gave up before trying Direct3D, making a rotating square,and finally switching to OpenGL, and I still know a bit of Direct3D, and much prefer it to DirectDraw.

There is still more(free) documentation for the older methods, than the new, which was my reasoning behind my statement. I admit I have little knowledge of which is easier as I have not coded more than an iota of dx.