Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TWild

Scale and Wireframe

I have two questions. I''m currently working on a Pong game in 3D. The first question I have is what scale should the meshes be made? Is a paddle with a width of 500 too big or does it not matter as long as everything ''matches''? Second question is is there a way to display only the wireframes of my meshes? Thanks!

Your units don''t matter too much as long as your scene is drawn at the right scale. But I would still stay away from making a scene where the paddles are 0.00001 units wide or maybe 100000000.0 units wide. Extremes are not good but other than that, then your units shouldn''t matter.

You can render wireframes by setting a renderstate: SetRenderState( D3DRS_FILLMODE, D3DFILL_WIREFRAME );

Hope this helps,
neneboricua

As long as your game scale is universal...

Just for modeling ease, I tend to make 1.0 ingame world units = 1.0 meters of real world units. That lets me scale objects right in my 3d modeler without having to see how they look in realtime.

Generally, I try to avoid manually scaling objects ingame (by creating scaling matrices), because that screws with surface normals and forces a recalculation. At least, that''s how it works in OpenGL -- but AFAIK, DirectX uses unit length normals.

---
http://www.gapingwolf.com