Making a game world

Started by
2 comments, last by mehoron 20 years, 6 months ago
Can i build a gameworld or level in OpenGL using md2 and importing it....or is it a more limited modeling base? "Game design requiers an open mind. In this biz there are endless possibilitys, and the same, one thing, can be seen from millions of angles."
"Game design requiers an open mind. In this biz there are endless possibilitys, and the same, one thing, can be seen from millions of angles."
Advertisement
If you code the md2 loader yourself, and code a max script for example to export the md2, then md2 is not limited at all. Current exporter might have limitations however, for example poly count restrictions, only 1 texture map, etc..
See thats what i was worried about. The basic setting will be just land with trenches. But im trying to figure out a good way to have a level editor or something to import into the engine. Such as a .bsp file or some file like that. So i can either find a level editor for it OR figure out how to build one. If anyone knows a good way i can do this using an openGL engine or has any info on it please let me know.

[edited by - mehoron on October 8, 2003 2:24:49 PM]
"Game design requiers an open mind. In this biz there are endless possibilitys, and the same, one thing, can be seen from millions of angles."
more specifically, open gl is a programming api. Application Programming Interface. It does one job and one job only. Take theoretical 3d objects that exist in memory, and display them on a flat surface in the appearance of a "3d" scene from the perspective of a camera. How that scene looks is up to you. Open gl really isnt limited at all. How you define the scene is also up to you, you only have a few limitations here. That being, your world is made up of triangles, or quads, or both, and/or triangle strips. You can texture them, color them, whatever. Im sure you already know this, but what im saying is. You gotta define how the scene is loaded and created and displayed. Open GL is simply a tool that gets you from buntches of crap in the memory to an actual picture on the screen.
--FirekingOwner/LeaderFiregames Development &Blackdragon Studios

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement