Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jehsup

Multitexturing + Masking?

Hello, I have recently ran into a problem with my terrain engine. I procedurally generate a heightmap, procedurally blend 4 textures to represent differing elevation regions on the terrain (like many of you), apply this texture to the terrain, add finally a detail texture and everything works fine. I now want to add another texture to my terrain what represents roads, bodies of water, cities, etc... When I try this using multi-texturing, everything blends together (i.e. the road texture layer is transparent on the terrain and not solid). I want the non_road portion of the road image layer to be transparent, but the road itself to be solid. No matter what blend options I set, I cant seem to get an acceptable result. I could do it with masking. Use another pass with the mask layer, and a third pass with the road image layer, and I am pretty sure that this would work? What do you guys think? But I really don't want to make 3 passes at rendering my terrain. It is pretty large, and the masking approach would have to KILL performance. Does anyone have any ideas, or maybe implemented a similar feature into their terrain engine? Before you ask, yes I searched the site and google and found a lot of interesting multi-texturing problems and solutions, but nothing quite like what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas you might have! J [edited by - Jehsup on October 8, 2003 5:41:33 PM]