• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jehsup

Multitexturing + Masking?

This topic is 5370 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have recently ran into a problem with my terrain engine. I procedurally generate a heightmap, procedurally blend 4 textures to represent differing elevation regions on the terrain (like many of you), apply this texture to the terrain, add finally a detail texture and everything works fine. I now want to add another texture to my terrain what represents roads, bodies of water, cities, etc... When I try this using multi-texturing, everything blends together (i.e. the road texture layer is transparent on the terrain and not solid). I want the non_road portion of the road image layer to be transparent, but the road itself to be solid. No matter what blend options I set, I cant seem to get an acceptable result. I could do it with masking. Use another pass with the mask layer, and a third pass with the road image layer, and I am pretty sure that this would work? What do you guys think? But I really don't want to make 3 passes at rendering my terrain. It is pretty large, and the masking approach would have to KILL performance. Does anyone have any ideas, or maybe implemented a similar feature into their terrain engine? Before you ask, yes I searched the site and google and found a lot of interesting multi-texturing problems and solutions, but nothing quite like what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas you might have! J [edited by - Jehsup on October 8, 2003 5:41:33 PM]

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!