Is X Windows POSIX?

Started by
8 comments, last by Promit 20 years, 6 months ago
I''m a little vague on what POSIX actually includes as part of it. Does it include X Windows type stuff? and also, more specifically, are glX calls POSIX or just X Windows or what?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
A better place to put this would be the Everthing Unix thread. As a Linux user myself, I will try to answer you question as best I can. As far as I know, X Windows is POSIX. I may be wrong. Go to google and search for "POSIX", that should give you some stuff.
My Kung Fu is stronger.May the Source be with you.neo88
I always got the impression that Everything Unix was for non-coding *nix stuff...
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
It wouldn''t be "Everything" Unix if it were restricted to non-programming issues

You can ask in General Programming, but you''re more likely to get an answer in Everything Unix (or from people like me who are just reading "Active Topics" )

Anyway, X Window is not part of POSIX. You can go there for reference.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
gl* calls are part of the OpenGL standard.

X windows is part of the... X windows standard.

POSIX is generally far more specific. It has far more to do with the kernel than anything else. (although POSIX also specifies some user evironment things. like a POSIX system will always have a shell called ''sh'' and ''ls'' will always list a directory.)
So other than Linux, what platforms have X windows or follow the X windows standard?

OS X? BeOS? Solaris?
quote:Original post by Promit
I always got the impression that Everything Unix was for non-coding *nix stuff...

Like Fruny said, it's for "everything" . But, generally, I just browse the "Active Topics" page, so I still find threads like this most of the time.

So other than Linux, what platforms have X windows or follow the X windows standard?

There aren't very many platforms that don't have an implementation of the X Window System available. That said, the users of some platforms may not want to go to the trouble finding, installing, or using an implementation.

Common "personal computer" platforms where the X Window System is dominant graphics system: Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, IRIX, and HP-UX among others. On MacOS X, there's a rootless X Window System implementation that at least a portion of the users don't mind using.

Edit: marginally improving post. Since it's annoying how much space my "post locater" signature takes up after editing, I'll just remove it too...

[edited by - Null and Void on October 8, 2003 7:14:24 PM]
quote:
On MacOS X, there''s a rootless X Window System implementation that at least a portion of the users don''t mind using

Ummm....does that mean it''s there in a default install of OS X, and I can use glX stuff, or do they have to go to the trouble of installing it?
Ummm....does that mean it''s there in a default install of OS X, and I can use glX stuff, or do they have to go to the trouble of installing it?

It''s not installed by default, but it''s "official" with an installer and all that. You can find more information on Apple''s site.

*notices that he''s actually talking about glx, not "gl*" as per my post*

*slinks away*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement