Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Promit

I really don't get GL multitexturing

I understand multitexturing itself, a la Direct3D. The problem is, in OpenGL, I see none of the structure that is there with Direct3D. I don''t presume to say it''s not there--I just don''t get how to take advantage of it. In D3D (forgive me for mentioning it so often it''s just the only solid understanding I have) you set arguments for each stage and then what op to do between them. This makes sense to me. In GL, I see that there are lots of textures: GL_TEXTURE*_ARB. I can bind these to various textures, and for each of those I can set an Env mode. There are only 3 Env modes though: GL_DECAL, GL_REPLACE, and GL_MODULATE. Modulate is what I''ve been using for lightmapping. But I don''t see all of those various ops that D3D sports. Am I missing something here? Surely the texture combinations can''t be that simplistic? Also, how do I know how mnay textures I can actually bind stuff to and use? Suppose I want to keep to 1 pass rendering, and I don''t want GL to go to some emulation because I''ve bound too many textures. How can I detect the number of available textures at runtime?

Lookup the GL_ARB_texture_env_combine extension. Probably all the multitexturing functionality that you''ve come to know and love in DirectX is in there and in related extensions, such as GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar and GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3. They''re all in the OpenGL Extension Registry:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/