MySQL w/ PHP

Started by
4 comments, last by doctorsixstring 20 years, 6 months ago
I am trying to connect to my MySQL database. Below is a snippet of my PHP file:

<?php

/* Connecting, selecting database */
    $link = mysql_connect("localhost", "username", "password")
        or die("Could not connect : " . mysql_error());
    print "Connected successfully";
    mysql_select_db("db_name") or die("Could not select database");
I am having trouble figuring out what the hostname, username, and password is. I just installed MySQL and PHP, and I am a total DBA newbie. Where would I find/modify this info? Thanks, Mike
Advertisement
The documentation on http://www.mysql.com is really great. Take a look at the online documentation with user comments. I always find the comments that people leave very helpful.

User information is kept in the mysql database in the user table.
Take a look at the docs for GRANT/REVOKE on how to add users. There''s also a SET PASSWORD command. The first thing you''ll want to do is to set the root password.

hmm..Do you even know if you have the mysql daemon running? On unix, you''ll want to start the mysqld daemon. On windows you want to run mysql as a service.

Good luck, read the docs lots.
...keeping it simple...
quote:Original post by doctorsixstring
I am having trouble figuring out what the hostname, username, and password is. I just installed MySQL and PHP, and I am a total DBA newbie. Where would I find/modify this info?

By default ( at least under linux anyways ) the hostname is ''localhost'' the username is ''root'' and there is no password so you can use "". There are some good GUI''s on www.mysql.com''s site that let''s you do database admin things like add different users so you don''t have to use root all the time.

-------
Andrew
PlaneShift - A MMORPG in development.
I downloaded easyPhp. It is a package of apache mysql and php. It has a gui called phpmyadmin. its great.
I started learning MySQL and Php about three weeks ago and absolutly nothing proved more valuable to me than "MySQL, The definitive guide..." by Paul DuBois. It covers MySQL in tons of detail, including setup of MySQL and Php, and a big section of MySQL and Php working together. Seriously, the online documentation for it is horrendous, except on phpfreak.com, so get the book!
If you just install the MySQL server, the server doesn''t have any password and usernames. So, to connect to the database you have to use as username ''root'' and no password. This will work.

However, it is adviseable to add a user with a password. Get MySQLCC of the MySQL site and use it. It''s a great tool to setup accounts, create databases, etc.

Toolmaker

-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement