Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Syrillix

should i go on....

well today i failed an assembly assignment, a game in assembly of all things. and it looks like now my gpas gonna be shot if i fail this subject. maybe its just the shock or disenchantment of failing at something, but im beginning to question whether IT is right for me. i mean i like programming and in c/c++ i think i can hold my own but to fail at assembly is like saying that i still dont know how a computer works. when i first started programming is was because i wanted to make games now i enjoy programming for the sake of programming. but to think of the last 4 years that ive spent learning as a waste is just bit more than depressing.

Shit, you know what, I failed a computer systems paper (ivolved a lot of assembly) three times!!. On the fourth go, thats right I was insane and a glutton for punishment, I got an A+.

The reason I stuck with it was because I couldn''t imagine studying anything else, I really loved C++, and was good at it.

Assembly is something that is nice to know and helpful to understand, but I don''t think you should stop programming because you aren''t good at assembly.

Try going over the assignment with somebody else who failed, you can both discuss where you wen''t wrong and explain to each other how you thought things sould have went. You will find that explaining your own reasoning and helping someone else with theirs will improve your knowledge ten fold. Then in the exam you will be in much better shape.

Everybody goes through moments of doubt with the things they love. If you are doubtful now but stick with it, the final achievement will be so much more worth while.

The fact that you are worried about it is a good sign, you''re in much better shape than if you went ah f**k it I''m just cruising, I might do better next time or something (which is what I did).

Stick with it and speak no more of this heretic nonsence, how could you even contemplate lowering yourself to the status of lesser mortal

Um, have some balls. I failed one assignment in my undergrad CS career - a splay tree project that I just couldn''t get to work right. It''s not like I quit programming because of it.

There is a widely held belief by some outspoken (and often on probation) people that if you don''t know assembly you''re not a real programmer. For one thing, make sure you don''t think you have to substantiate yourself to these people. Often, they are only in high school.

Secondly, I don''t really know assembly, I did a little for one class and I know the basic idea of it. I also know writing an entire game in assembly is one of the biggest wastes of life when only about ten to twenty percent of the code you write is going to take up around eighty to ninety percent of time.

In short: get some sleep and move on. Who writes a game in assembly in the real world anyway? Even cell phone games are written in Java nowadays for crying out loud.

I have to agree with everyone else. Don''t lose faith in yourself because you fail at something, especially assembly. You have a difficult assignment. With assembly you have to be very meticulous in your designs. It is important to write functions that''ll make your life easier, such as functions to display text at a desired place, so that you don''t have to write the same code over and over again. Assembly is one of those things that you can work on while you aren''t in front of the computer. I''d often sit in other classes in school and ask myself, "how would I write x routine most efficiently in assembly". By the end of an hour long class I''d have a 15 line assembly program. Most importantly, buckle down and take the time to do it write and start the assignments early.

Contrary to what some people may tell you, you may actually end up using assembly once you are out of school. I''m an operating systems programmer and my only debugger is an assembly level debugger so I''ve had to relearn assembly in a different arch than i386 to understand what my code is doing when it is actually running.

RandomTask

I agree with everyone else. Don''t get yourself down. If you can program c/C++ then you are elite and shouldn''t get yourself down over one assembly failure. Just go over what you did and what went wrong. Then the next time you have another one of these projects then fix your errors and double your efforts to get an A+

Over? Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Seriously, relax. You like programming, so of course you should stick with it. Everyone experiences setbacks in life. It''s how we respond to them that defines our character.

--
Dave Mikesell
d.mikesell@computer.org
http://davemikesell.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
Lol at Syrillix, you better start learning your history before you fail that history exam tomorrow

This is what being a programmer is, here is the formula for what I am talking about.

programmer = solving + problem

You have run into a problem(set back) well study and dont give up. You will overcome this with no doubt, just put it more time. Try and look at the issue in a different way then you will not only pass but feel great about it. I ran into a problem like this but much worse. I was failing a few classes and I wasnt going to graduate, and those teachers didnt think I had any chance. Which I wont go into details, but I passed those classes and worked my ass off now I am reping the rewards. So its up to you to make it not anyone else.

Good luck

Not that this has much to do with this post but didn''t the Japense bomb Perl Harbor? And by the way dude. If you love programming enough you''ll stick to it. Just try harder next time. I like Dalik''s example. He was going to fail adn not graduate but he still did. Don''t give up -_-

quote:
Original post by demonrealms
Not that this has much to do with this post but didn''t the Japense bomb Perl Harbor?

It''s a joke. A quote from the movie Animal House...

http://161.58.5.90/animal/germans.wav

Isn't this an indictment of our entire American soceity!?

I dropped 3 classes in college; retook 2 of them, and picked something else for the third.

("Man, I really ought to go to World Masterpieces II today..." So I go to class for a change, and the instructor is handing back mid-terms. Oops.)

Why did you fail? Did you have to make a game in assembly? Seems like an extremely hard and time consuming project, far beyond the scope of the typical under-grad.

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on October 10, 2003 9:48:01 PM]