Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idx

Hitman2 Fast Load time...How?

I was wondering how or what structures/algorithms/implementations were used to enable the game to load so fast! Anybody out there got any info/links about the engine?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Using assembly code helps. Its probably the lack of structures and algorithms and better implementation which helps. The engine isn''t the most complex one I''ve seen. It''s designed to run on many platforms but be optimizated for each platform as best as possible.

i doubt much of hitman2 was written in assembler, considering the engine is so cross platform. they probably break the levels down into chunks which can be loaded in the background as your playing the game.

or by having the level pre-processed in such a way that various binary chunks of it can be loaded directly into memory without any manipulation.

There are loads of way to increase your loading times.

Don`t load your whole level at once - it`s anyway possible that user won`t have so much ram so he`ll have to swap anyway. Just load the nearest enviroment and load gradually while progressing in game. AND load directly data into your structures so no processing is needed. That way, it`s gonna be just few seconds to load it. And I noticed in Hitman that it loads gradually while progressing, so that`s the way to go.

VladR
Avenger 3D game