Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[OT] recommend a game to me plz

This topic is 5174 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve got the itch to play a game and since I''ve not played an RPG since Ultima Underworld (what a game!) I''ve decided to buy said genre. What do you guys recommend? I''ve heard Neverwinter Nights and Diablo are good. What do you think? (adminstrators... plz do not move this thread as I''m particularly interested in the opinions of the people who frequent this forum. Merci)

I never played Neverwinter Nights... though it seems pretty cool and easily "expandable", since you can create your own quests.

As for Diablo... well... it's a very addictive game as you do is stats building and items hunting The main story is quite good though. It didn't sell millions of copies for nothing

You could also try Baldur's Gate if you like "dungeons and dragons" style games. In BG you have to control a whole party though, so it's not as in NWN where you only control one character.

There was also Dungeon Siege that some people here played for a while... it looks like Diablo but in 3D.

Also, it might sound weird but... recently my lead programmer started playing Dungeon Masters. It's a very old game but I like the concept... so if you don't mind playing games through an emulator in 320x200, it's a very interesting game

Hope this helps

Aurevoir.

[edited by - xEricx on October 9, 2003 9:46:15 AM]

I''ve heard many times that NWN''s pathfinding sucks particularly badly. So it could be frustrating from an AI coder''s perspective. Then again, people seem to really enjoy the game regardless of that!

I''ve watched Diablo being played on many occasions; it''s a fascinating game. I''m not particularly fond of the RPG type though, so I''ve never managed to justify the purchase

If that''s the same Dungeon Master that ran on the Amiga/Atari then I agree, it''s a fantastic game. I think that was the first time I really got lost in a game. Many late nights spent with pencil and graph paper.

In Diablo do you control a single character or a team?

This is uh... rather un-pertaining to AI, don''t you think?

Unfortunatly those starting to know me from the game discussion design and writies threads would know I''m strongly (and rather stubbornly ) biased towards newer mainstream games for a various slew of reasons, most being subjective.

Diablo''s pretty good. Not very challenging as such, most of the action and decision making follows three simple conditions.

1'' Am I low on health? Either use a healing item or spell, or find a means (walking, Town Portal...) back to town.
2'' Are there baddies? If so, click on them. If they''re still around, click some more. You may cast spells and use items if you tire of clicking.
3'' If neither conditions are true, click around to walk and ensure the above two conditions eventually become true once more (particularly the second).

It''s good though. Seeing as Diablo 1 is somewhat old, the price (here at least) is impossibly low. It''s actually entertaining but not something highly taxing intellectually. Hope you have a spare mouse, it''s a neat little clickfeast. But other than that, it has very strong points; equipment generation, for instance, is purely random. That''s actual equippable item generation, not the stuff you get. Which is random too, actually. As are the dungeons. Only they''re repetitive. But they''re random.

So yeah. It''s a good game worth the price you''ll pay it. Kept me busy a few weeks at least...

Hi fup,
if you like the rpg style, NWN is quite good, but a little linear ... but when you are tired, you just load a fan-made module and have fun ...

If you want something a little more deep, try morrowind, the elder scrolls, or the other expansion like bloodmoon or tribunal ... it''s a long game, full of possibilities .. and a really great story, and if your in to building your own things, the construction set allows you to build your house or items or anything and place them in the game ... really cool!

Well, have a good time playing!

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''d go for Baldur''s Gate and Baldur''s Gate 2. Skip NWN. I hated the one-character system; if you were in a tough battle the only way to win it if you were a fighter is to die and reload.

I would have to go with NWN. It''s not as linear as you would think. There are a lot of side quests that are available (and you don''t know often times which are main thread and which are side quests). As for being easy to die... that''s why they keep hammering you with the idea of hiring a henchman to help you out. If you make the right choice, that is a big help. A lot of the AI is really good although there are some quirks to it that fup should be able to shred. It is quite entertaining nonetheless.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm -
"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Actually, I''d disagree with you all. Having played both Diablos, Baldurs Gate and its expansions, Neverwinter Nights, expansions (and written stuff for it) and played Everquest for 4 years, Battlefield 1942 for 1 and plenty of other top selling games over the decade (and more!), I would have to say one of the best single player RPG games is Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. This is a very immersive world in which you can go anywhere and try anything. It''s visually stunning for its age and great fun to explore. Even the simplest hunt at low levels is challenging and fun! Sure, some of the NPC interactions are a bit limited and a bit stilted, but you get to decide on the path your character takes in life... in skills, quests for the good guys or the bad guys, guilds to join, all sorts of things. There are two expansions out for the game which I haven''t tried yet (not enough time between running a BF1942 clan and other games), although if they''re as good as the first, I''ll love them. Given its age you should be able to pick it up real cheap. I know Electronic Boutique here in Oz is selling Morrowind plus an expansion pack (bundled by the produced) for around $50, so you should be able to get a similar deal much cheaper (we have ridiculously high game prices in Oz).

Whatever you choose... enjoy!

Of course, I could evil you and tell you about WWII online!

Cheers,

Timkin

Yes and no... we run the AI forum differently than other forums... or at least, we have in the past. We have a small community here (although I have noticed that this year seems to have brought with it a contingent of newer, younger faces into this community) and we allow a little bit of leeway for people to communicate within the AI group. I don''t particularly like it when a thread is taken off topic, however, the occasional off topic thread, clearly marked, is permissable. It is the readers choice as to whether they want to click on a thread marked OT.

Obviously, if this practice gets out of hand, we''ll disallow OT threads in this forum.

Cheers,

Timkin

Thanks for all the advice guys. I''ll see if I can find Morrowind or Arx Fatalis here in India.

cowsarenotevil: the reason I posted this message here and not in the lounge is because I''m only interested in the views of the people that I''ve come to know. I''m not particularly interested in the views of strangers, and many of the regulars here only frequent the AI forum.

Soory I am a bit late on that one, but I cant help think that no one mentioned the brilliant Fallout 2 ?
For those in the know, it uses the GURPS RPG system (that is, it doesnt use the stupid Dungeon n Dragon system).
Neverwinter night is not bad, per se, and the game actually managed not to piss me off too much despite using DnD, but I have to say compared to other works the studio did previously (the Baldur''s Gate series, namely), the level of the plot is of abysmal proportions. Although if you DO get NWN, may I strongly recommend the Witch''s Wake module, which is a brilliant (and succesful) attempt at improving the whole design and game concepts of NWN. I think just for this alone I adored NWN.

Oh and please people refrain from calling Diablo a RPG, it s not.
It''s a Roguelike.
You might even want to play possibly the best Roguelike yet : ADOM ?

HAppy gaming

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

Oh, and I second Timkin on Morrowind, but only because I thought Daggerfall was great. Although I still have to play this much awaited sequel :-/ The joy of having a crap gfx card...

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

My list (in order of importance):

1. FALLOUT 2!!!!!!! (holy crap. if you haven't played this game, you are missing an unparalled and rarely implemented twist on the RPG genre)

2. Morrowind (beautifully overwhelming environment. Excellent implementation of skill based system. non-linear to the extreme.)

3. Temple of Elemental Evil (very new, but from what I've seen, the most accurate implementation of the D&D combat system. Excellent music and animations. Neverwinter is cool, but ToEE blows it out of the water in being faithful to D&D rules.)

I love the Diablo's. Here is a rant if you aren't convinced

quote:
Original post by RuneLancer
2' Are there baddies? If so, click on them. If they're still around, click some more. You may cast spells and use items if you tire of clicking.

I'd have to disagree with you on this step of the algorithm for Sorcerers in Diablo and most classes in Diablo 2. I've heard many people generalize the Diablos in this manner.

Diablo 2 is not an RPG but it is never-the-less good. Personally, I classify it as a battle tactics game. The point of the game is to utilize your class's special abilities in such a way that you kill the most monsters at once, dependent on the pattern in which the monsters are gathered and what type of monsters they are.

Examples of a few skills/situations: With a paladin, you'll want to turn large monsters to your side. With a necro, you'll need to curse large groups and corpse-explode large corpses. If you are a sorceress, use lightning to blast through long lines of approaching enemies. There are several different ways to play the same classes.

And throughout the game, you are coming up with new tactics by earning new abilities and strengthening current ones. Another reason to keep playing is for the awesome magical items that you earn in later levels. The story is linear, but it is good. I especially like the role of Tyreal.

[edited by - orikal on October 11, 2003 4:39:27 PM]

I was mostly referring to Diablo I, never having played II, though it still works.

If you like the genre, you might want to have a look at uh... Nox? Nix? Something very similare to that. ''Fraid the name escapes my feeble mind (yaaaah... two conscecute all-nighters...! Must... find... bed...) but it''s either one of those or very similare to either. Never really played it but I heard it''s pretty much a "ripoff of Diablo" (in my friend''s words). How good of a ripoff it is is something someone who HAS played it will have to comment on.

Screenies and comments I heard looked pretty good, though.

quote:
Original post by fup
cowsarenotevil: the reason I posted this message here and not in the lounge is because I''m only interested in the views of the people that I''ve come to know. I''m not particularly interested in the views of strangers, and many of the regulars here only frequent the AI forum.

Ah, interesting.

quote:

Hope you don''t mind me sharing my 2 cents

quote:

3. Temple of Elemental Evil (very new, but from what I''ve seen, the most accurate implementation of the D&D combat system. Excellent music and animations. Neverwinter is cool, but ToEE blows it out of the water in being faithful to D&D rules.)

Yeah, I''ve heard alot about this game, but never really played it myself. Although, I intend to sometime... The game is based on the Greyhawk campaign setting, which is the standard campaign setting for the 3rd edition D&D game. From what I''ve heard it''s much more "accurate" than other 3rd edition D&D games (Icewind Dale, BGII, I think..), when it comes to the rules.
What I really like about the D&D games is the amount of freedom they give you, and the level of interactiveness. Also the stories are usually very non-linear.

I also think Diablo is a very addictive game. But it started getting extremely frustrating after there suddenly were a hundred-million different ways of cheating on the battle.net... I got sick of it after a while, and have given it up. It is a very uniform game, and like some people have said, you don''t do much else than clicking your mouse on the monsters, or on a healing potion...

Hey fup, if you can''t find Morrowind in India, holler and I''ll get one in Oz for you. Of course, I''d be surprised if you couldn''t find one... the pirate software industry is pretty big on the sub-continent!

They are pretty big on piracy in India. I''ve not seen any fakes of anything here in Hyderabad.

I''ve still not managed to locate Morrowind but I can always get a friend to send it from the UK. Thanks for the offer though.