[OT] recommend a game to me plz

Started by
23 comments, last by fup 20 years, 6 months ago
I''ve got the itch to play a game and since I''ve not played an RPG since Ultima Underworld (what a game!) I''ve decided to buy said genre. What do you guys recommend? I''ve heard Neverwinter Nights and Diablo are good. What do you think? (adminstrators... plz do not move this thread as I''m particularly interested in the opinions of the people who frequent this forum. Merci)
Advertisement
I never played Neverwinter Nights... though it seems pretty cool and easily "expandable", since you can create your own quests.

As for Diablo... well... it's a very addictive game as you do is stats building and items hunting The main story is quite good though. It didn't sell millions of copies for nothing

You could also try Baldur's Gate if you like "dungeons and dragons" style games. In BG you have to control a whole party though, so it's not as in NWN where you only control one character.

There was also Dungeon Siege that some people here played for a while... it looks like Diablo but in 3D.

Also, it might sound weird but... recently my lead programmer started playing Dungeon Masters. It's a very old game but I like the concept... so if you don't mind playing games through an emulator in 320x200, it's a very interesting game

Hope this helps

Aurevoir.

[edited by - xEricx on October 9, 2003 9:46:15 AM]
I''ve heard many times that NWN''s pathfinding sucks particularly badly. So it could be frustrating from an AI coder''s perspective. Then again, people seem to really enjoy the game regardless of that!

I''ve watched Diablo being played on many occasions; it''s a fascinating game. I''m not particularly fond of the RPG type though, so I''ve never managed to justify the purchase

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

If that''s the same Dungeon Master that ran on the Amiga/Atari then I agree, it''s a fantastic game. I think that was the first time I really got lost in a game. Many late nights spent with pencil and graph paper.

In Diablo do you control a single character or a team?

How bout Stick Soldiers? Classic example of an RPG - absolutely no plot whatsoever

[edited by - Stick Soldier on October 9, 2003 10:55:08 AM]
Yep that''s the same Dungeon Master

In Diablo you control a single character. In Diablo 2 you can hire someone to help you, that follows you and attacks on sight.
This is uh... rather un-pertaining to AI, don''t you think?

Unfortunatly those starting to know me from the game discussion design and writies threads would know I''m strongly (and rather stubbornly ) biased towards newer mainstream games for a various slew of reasons, most being subjective.

Diablo''s pretty good. Not very challenging as such, most of the action and decision making follows three simple conditions.

1'' Am I low on health? Either use a healing item or spell, or find a means (walking, Town Portal...) back to town.
2'' Are there baddies? If so, click on them. If they''re still around, click some more. You may cast spells and use items if you tire of clicking.
3'' If neither conditions are true, click around to walk and ensure the above two conditions eventually become true once more (particularly the second).

It''s good though. Seeing as Diablo 1 is somewhat old, the price (here at least) is impossibly low. It''s actually entertaining but not something highly taxing intellectually. Hope you have a spare mouse, it''s a neat little clickfeast. But other than that, it has very strong points; equipment generation, for instance, is purely random. That''s actual equippable item generation, not the stuff you get. Which is random too, actually. As are the dungeons. Only they''re repetitive. But they''re random.

So yeah. It''s a good game worth the price you''ll pay it. Kept me busy a few weeks at least...
Try Arx Fatalis -- it''s unofficially an Underworld 3.

-- John
Hi fup,
if you like the rpg style, NWN is quite good, but a little linear ... but when you are tired, you just load a fan-made module and have fun ...

If you want something a little more deep, try morrowind, the elder scrolls, or the other expansion like bloodmoon or tribunal ... it''s a long game, full of possibilities .. and a really great story, and if your in to building your own things, the construction set allows you to build your house or items or anything and place them in the game ... really cool!

Well, have a good time playing!
- Moonover "We shall descend"
I''d go for Baldur''s Gate and Baldur''s Gate 2. Skip NWN. I hated the one-character system; if you were in a tough battle the only way to win it if you were a fighter is to die and reload.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement