Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Depth buffer problem?

This topic is 5182 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Ive been having some strange problems with what I can only guess is depth buffer. Here is a picture of the problem: As you can see, everything is visible, through everything else, some stuff is ontop and some isnt, its a very wierd effect. Im using OpenGL and SDL together. Its the first time Ive tried SDL so maybe its something ive missed? Yes I am clearing and enabling the depth buffer, so im not sure whats causing this problem. Can anyone help please? Cheers, -wolfman

That looks bad, post some code.

[ My Site ]
''I wish life was not so short,'' he thought. ''Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.'' - J.R.R Tolkien
/*ilici*/

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Ostsol
Also, what is the bit depth for your depth-buffer?
Maybe 2...and 4 bits for color? Seriously, why is this thing looking so bad? Did you convert into a 4bpp GIF? Or is it really looking that way?

Some code would be most helpful. are loading that as a model? for example from 3D Studio Max? or is it a list of vertices? if its verticies maybe you have to tell your engine to not draw surfaces that are blocked by other faces (i.e. - not veiwable thru the present frustrum) just a guess, but without code its hard to say.

r3alityc0d3r
r3alityc0d3r@hotmail.com
"I am the Architect. I created the Matrix...Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Which has led you, inexorably... here." Great Architect - Matrix Reloaded

Well I know its not in my rendering code because if I draw 2 simple quads 10 units away from eachother and rotate the scene so they overlap I get this:

Here is the code I use to setup the window:

CWindow::CWindow()
{
if(SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) < 0 )
{
m_pLog->write("Video initialisation failed: %s", SDL_GetError()); // Write error to log

SDL_Quit();

exit(0);
}

m_pInfo = SDL_GetVideoInfo();

if(!m_pInfo)
{
m_pLog->write("Video query failed: %s", SDL_GetError()); // Write error to log

SDL_Quit();

exit(0);
}

SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, 8);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, 8);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, 8);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, 32);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, 1);

m_iFlags = SDL_OPENGL | SDL_FULLSCREEN | SDL_HWSURFACE;

resize(m_iScreenWidth, m_iScreenHeight, m_iScreenBPP);
}

void CWindow::resize(int width, int height, int bpp)
{
m_iScreenWidth = width;
m_iScreenHeight = height;
m_iScreenBPP = bpp;

if(SDL_SetVideoMode(m_iScreenWidth, m_iScreenHeight, m_iScreenBPP, m_iFlags) == 0)
{
m_pLog->write("Video mode change failed: %s", SDL_GetError()); // Write error to log.

SDL_Quit();

exit(0);
}
}

And for setting up opengl I use:

CGLRenderer3D::CGLRenderer3D()
{
glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 0); // Set the clear colour!

glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
}

void CGLRenderer3D::preRender()
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
gluPerspective(60, 1.3, 0, 100);

glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();

gluLookAt(30,30,30, 0,0,0, 0,1,0);
}

Ive got gluPerspective running each frame because I have 2D elements as well that are drawing to the screen. However I have stopped them drawing and the same thing happens anyway so its not that interfering. Any ideas now?

-wolfman

THANKYOU SO MUCH Sneftel!

/me smacks forhead on the table

Such a timy little thing that I failed to notice and it all works now!

Cheers for the help

-wolfman