Depth buffer problem?

Started by
6 comments, last by Wolfman 20 years, 6 months ago
Hiya, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Ive been having some strange problems with what I can only guess is depth buffer. Here is a picture of the problem: As you can see, everything is visible, through everything else, some stuff is ontop and some isnt, its a very wierd effect. Im using OpenGL and SDL together. Its the first time Ive tried SDL so maybe its something ive missed? Yes I am clearing and enabling the depth buffer, so im not sure whats causing this problem. Can anyone help please? Cheers, -wolfman
-wolfmanThe End is only the Beginning of the End
Advertisement
That looks bad, post some code.

[ My Site ]
''I wish life was not so short,'' he thought. ''Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.'' - J.R.R Tolkien
/*ilici*/
Also, what is the bit depth for your depth-buffer?
-Ostsol
quote:Original post by Ostsol
Also, what is the bit depth for your depth-buffer?
Maybe 2...and 4 bits for color? Seriously, why is this thing looking so bad? Did you convert into a 4bpp GIF? Or is it really looking that way?

Some code would be most helpful. are loading that as a model? for example from 3D Studio Max? or is it a list of vertices? if its verticies maybe you have to tell your engine to not draw surfaces that are blocked by other faces (i.e. - not veiwable thru the present frustrum) just a guess, but without code its hard to say.

r3alityc0d3r
r3alityc0d3r@hotmail.com
"I am the Architect. I created the Matrix...Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Which has led you, inexorably... here." Great Architect - Matrix Reloaded
r3alityc0d3ricq: 252463839r3alityc0d3r@hotmail.comwww.realitycoder.com"I am the Architect. I created the Matrix...Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Which has led you, inexorably... here." Great Architect - Matrix Reloaded
Well I know its not in my rendering code because if I draw 2 simple quads 10 units away from eachother and rotate the scene so they overlap I get this:

Here is the code I use to setup the window:

CWindow::CWindow(){	if(SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) < 0 )	{		m_pLog->write("Video initialisation failed: %s", SDL_GetError()); // Write error to log		SDL_Quit();		exit(0);    }	m_pInfo = SDL_GetVideoInfo();	if(!m_pInfo)	{		m_pLog->write("Video query failed: %s", SDL_GetError()); // Write error to log		SDL_Quit();		exit(0);    }	SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, 8);    SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, 8);    SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, 8);    SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, 32);    SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, 1);	m_iFlags = SDL_OPENGL | SDL_FULLSCREEN | SDL_HWSURFACE;	resize(m_iScreenWidth, m_iScreenHeight, m_iScreenBPP);}void CWindow::resize(int width, int height, int bpp){	m_iScreenWidth = width;	m_iScreenHeight = height;	m_iScreenBPP = bpp;	if(SDL_SetVideoMode(m_iScreenWidth, m_iScreenHeight, m_iScreenBPP, m_iFlags) == 0)	{		m_pLog->write("Video mode change failed: %s", SDL_GetError());	// Write error to log.        SDL_Quit();		exit(0);    }}

And for setting up opengl I use:

CGLRenderer3D::CGLRenderer3D(){	glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 0);	// Set the clear colour!	glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);}void CGLRenderer3D::preRender(){	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);		glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);		glLoadIdentity();	gluPerspective(60, 1.3, 0, 100);	glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);	glLoadIdentity();	gluLookAt(30,30,30, 0,0,0, 0,1,0);}

Ive got gluPerspective running each frame because I have 2D elements as well that are drawing to the screen. However I have stopped them drawing and the same thing happens anyway so its not that interfering. Any ideas now?

-wolfman
The "near" clipping plane should NOT be 0.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
THANKYOU SO MUCH Sneftel!

/me smacks forhead on the table

Such a timy little thing that I failed to notice and it all works now!

Cheers for the help

-wolfman

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement