Yay me!

Started by
7 comments, last by Symphonic 20 years, 6 months ago
I just bought my first (and hopefully not last) dedicated Linux computer (running Shrike RedHat)... and I love it! after much deliberation I managed to get X-Server and Gnome/KDE running and now I want to make some stuff! ... erm, where do I start? I have *some* experience with GCC and I have used both emacs and vi so I can write code and compile it, but what packages should I download/explore to begin writing actual games? George D. Filiotis I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Advertisement
Hmmm,

SDL is surely cross-platform enough to be used by a Red Hat flavor.

Have a look at Ogre too, I think they have a Linux port. (ogre.sourceforge.net)

I -think- FMOD supports Linux, as sound libraries go, correct me if I''m wrong.
=^.^= Leaders and teachers should remember: It is best to offer others what they Need, not what they Want.
KDevelop and Anjuta are good IDEs, though KDevelop is more geared to making software specially for KDE, or at least X, not something games need in particular. It also tries to force you to release your software under GNU and isn''t easy to set up with SDL.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
SDL seems the route to go, and I know some of the games that came with my comp use SDL so I must assume it''s all here

For now I don''t mind releasing stuff under the GPL, but where can I find Anjuta?

George D. Filiotis

I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
I don''t have RedHat so I don''t know, but I''d be surprised if it Anjuta doesn''t come with Shrike.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
For anjuta, here will take you to their downloads page. It is a fairly decent IDE, and should work well for you, if all else fails, you can just get the SDL libraries, and use your favorite text editors, and use gcc with make files.
As others have said, SDL is fairly core to many people developing games on linux. If you''re doing full-blown 3D type stuff, you''ll also want to know OpenAL and OpenGL.

> It also tries to force you to release your software under GNU

I assume you mean the GNU GPL. The GPL is a license, GNU is an OS project. Also, it''s rather misleading to say that kdev tries to "force" you to GPL your software. It''s just a sensible default, given kdevelop''s userbase. To clarify, you can license code written using kdevelop under whatever license you please.

If you want others to be able to compile your stuff, you may want to look into GNU autoconf when your makefiles get complicated.

My personal usage pattern is a hand-written makefile, and to use kdevelop as a souped-up version of kate, with a handy keyboard shortcut for "make". For smaller projects, I just have a terminal with vim, and a terminal in which I make/run.
ok, thanks alot for the replies, if you have any links you think I absolutely must visit (ie you would rather not leave it up to google to let me see these sites) feel free to fork ''em over

George D. Filiotis

I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
wxWindows for UI
boost for glue
ACE for sockets and maybe threading

- Magmai Kai Holmlor

Not For Rent

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows| Spirit(xBNF)]
[Free C Libraries | zlib ]

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement