GDI,DDraw,SDL...

Started by
2 comments, last by Silly_con 20 years, 6 months ago
I want to do a 2d app, old-dos style, but in windows, so I want to use an api that let me use a framebuffer (video ram) to put pixels. I think that GDI is slow because you have to put/get pixels using a function, not direct access. What would be best for a mode13h but in truecolor app in win, ddraw or sdl? This apis provide a fast enough bliting functions, or you have to make it by your own using fpu or mmx ?
Advertisement
SDL is nothing more than a wrapper of DirectDraw on Windows.
DirectDraw provides direct vram access and the fastest blitting you can get out of your hardware
this means that ddraw is the way to go, there aren''t an alternative ? (I have nothing against directX )
You can always create your own buffer in the system RAM, draw all your stuf to it, then throw the final result to the video RAM.

Of course, in the very end, you''ll need to use either GDI or DirectDraw to upload the result image to the videocard, since you don''t have direct access to it under Windows.

SLD plain provides you a surface to draw, and allows you to upload it to the videocard. Under windows, it uses DirectDraw to do so.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement